Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    User

Default Tier 1 handgun RDS's: which and why?

Hi Folks,

Been thinking about an RDS for a pistol (likely a G45 MOS or G17 MOS) as my new EDC. Narrowed the choices to the following:

- Aimpoint ACRO
    https://www.aimpoint.com/product/aimpoint-acro-c-1/

- Trijicon SRO
    https://www.trijicon.com/products/su...y/trijicon-sro

The requirement is for a 3 - 4 MOA dot and rugged reliability. Which, of the two choices do you go with? Why? And... GO! :)

User

Default Re: Tier 1 handgun RDS's: which and why?

If I recall correctly, Trijicon recommended the SRO for competition and not EDC?

Need to hunt down the article

User

The other obvious question which will arise is why the RMR is not in the equation?

Also what is the latest with the ACRO battery life that the initial models seemed to be plagued with?

User

Quote Originally Posted by HitMan_ View Post
    If I recall correctly, Trijicon recommended the SRO for competition and not EDC?

Need to hunt down the article
    Interesting. Sounds contrary to their ethos of building 'tough as nails' optics.

User

Quote Originally Posted by HitMan_ View Post
    The other obvious question which will arise is why the RMR is not in the equation?

Also what is the latest with the ACRO battery life that the initial models seemed to be plagued with?
    My understanding was that both were new additions to established manufacturers, that had teething issues on both ends. So I intended this to be an open discussion, debating the merits and demerits of both. As such, the focus being on these two new models. IIRC the RMR base models are in the same price range of the SRO. Open to correction, as always.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Brendank View Post
    Interesting. Sounds contrary to their ethos of building 'tough as nails' optics.
    Let me see if I can find the article. I may stand corrected and perhaps it was not Trijicon... But one of the more highly regarded reviewers.

Quickly looking, check the review by Sage Dynamics.. mentioning this.

https://forums.brianenos.com/topic/2...oblems/page/3/

https://gatdaily.com/so-is-the-triji...-for-duty-use/

User

Yup, the SRO not made to be carried. RMR still the best for edc, i’ve been down this road

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User

Oh and the holoson options not to bad either

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User

Was also considering ACRO but battery life is very low.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1qvCxWITqpc

At that size and price Holosun 508T or 509 is pretty awesome - would wait for the V2 though.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Brendank View Post
    Hi Folks,

Been thinking about an RDS for a pistol (likely a G45 MOS or G17 MOS) as my new EDC. Narrowed the choices to the following:

- Aimpoint ACRO
    https://www.aimpoint.com/product/aimpoint-acro-c-1/

- Trijicon SRO
    https://www.trijicon.com/products/su...y/trijicon-sro

The requirement is for a 3 - 4 MOA dot and rugged reliability. Which, of the two choices do you go with? Why? And... GO! :)
    To quote the RDS gurus Aaron from Sage Dynamics and Scott from Modern Samurai Project who both said something along the lines of "The battery life on an Acro isn't a problem, it is a feature! Focus on the features and not the perceived downfalls. If you want the features it provides, you just have to accept that you will need to change the battery every 3-6 weeks" the Acro was designed to be usable when exposed to adverse weather conditions, personally unless carried OWB in a duty holster I don't think the enclosed emitter is worth the battery changing admin! Also if carried IWB it would negate any fogging due to the bodies heat hence rendering the enclosed emitter irrelevant! Also your 3-4 MOA requirement aside, if I had to have a closed emitter I would personally go for a Holosun 509T due to the reasons provided by Aaron in his review of the 509T.

With regards to the SRO, Scott released a video yesterday in conjunction with Garand Thumb, to quote Scott and the analogy he used "there is nothing you can do on a 26" Computer screen that you can't do on a 20" screen, the 26" screen is just nicer!" The bigger window allows one to acquire the red dot quicker, hence its more forgiving on suboptimal draws and presentations! With regards to durability as mentioned above, Trijicon don't rate it for duty use, it was designed for competition shoooting. In the video released yesterday Scott said "if you're doing arduous activities then maybe the dot isn't for you, but if the feature set of the big window on the SRO offers you a bigger security blanket in terms of finding the dot quicker, then maybe the dot is for you!" In terms of durability, where the SRO falls down is in its circular shape (as was evidenced by the window cracking twice on each of the first drop tests conducted by Aaron) compared to the square shape of the venerable RMR! Hence why the Holosun 508T v2 has progressed to using a square housing! Two nice features of the SRO are the lockout and lockin feature as well as the top loading battery tray which means you don't need to remove the optic to change the battery and hence re-zero it everytime, the new v2 Holosuns will incorporate both of these features too! In terms of EDC the SRO won't be exposed to the same environment and risks as it would have been in an OWB duty holster, but you still run the risk of possibly breaking the window, so that will be something you will have to come to terms with accepting! The SRO is also quite pricey!

I decided to join the dotlife team, I'm currently waiting for my licence for my Glock 19 Gen 5 MOS for EDC and hence have been doing a substantial amount of research in the search for the best RDS.

TL:DR out of your two choices I would go with the Holosun 508T v2, as the downfalls of your 2 respective choices outweigh their pros for EDC

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast