Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Default Hunting ammunition.308

Hi guys I know it’s been discussed to death and it’s what suites your rifle but I can even begin to find pointers on store bought ammunition

Rifle steyr pro hunter .308, inter webs says 1/12 twist barrel length 23”

Hunting mainly bushveld under 150m

What gr is suggested and what brand of ammo. Must be available off the shelf

Thanks gents

Banned

Default Re: Hunting ammunition.308

General guidelines for cup-and-core bullets:
    1:14 for 155gr
    1:12 for 165gr
    1:10 for 180 gr

Your budget would play a role. It usually does not help to buy twenty cartridges because you need to sight in the rifle (four to six shots), practice some shots to learn the trajectory (10 shots?), and have enough left for the hunt.

For your purpose, have a look at monolithics, or sturdy cup-and-core ammunition. Target bullets will probably fragment and that could lead to a lot of waste meat.

My preference for 308 is 180gr @ 2400fps. If you can find round nosed ammunition in 180gr it would be my first choice, simply because the bullets are shorter and should stabilise in your rifle.

S&B has a round nose: (https://www.camdixwapens.co.za/item/...gr_sp_ammo_20s)

Sight in at 50m; the POI should be roughly 20mm high at 100m, and on the spot at 150m.

Remember that monolithics are longer than regular bullets, which means that you will need to look at light (130gr?) mono's.

Hope it helps!

User

Hi. I know it's been discussed to death.

I've been hunting anything from Eland and smaller with good old 150gr PMP brown box. Lots will differ from me.
    I'm yet to have a problem with grouping or wounded animal.
    Just place your shots.

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Ds J View Post
    General guidelines for cup-and-core bullets:
    1:14 for 155gr
    1:12 for 165gr
    1:10 for 180 gr
    I believe the 12 and 14 twist rates the wrong way around.

User

Sako Super Hammerhead 180gr ammo. Good to shoot anything with Non Dangerous,.

Banned

@OP: wisdom from an experienced hunter: 100 shots on the range for every shot in the field; it may come down to 60 or 70 shots once you have experience.

Quote Originally Posted by shooty View Post
    I believe the 12 and 14 twist rates the wrong way around.
    Nope, a tighter twist for heavier (longer) bullets and a longer twist for lighter (shorter) bullets.

https://www.sellier-bellot.cz/en/pro...ce/detail/142/

A friend of mine doesn't reload and hunts with the above, most shops keeps them, affordable, very accurate and deadly

User

You can do a lot worse than a packet of PMP ProAmms. For your stated purpose the 180gr variety sounds like the thing.

Your 1:12 barrel will happily stabilize 180gr boattail HUNTING (not VLD / Target) bullets. ProAmms are flatbase, don't need no stinkin' boat tail in the bush.

Banned

Try Federal Fusion if you can find. Bonded bullets and the ammo is reasonably priced.

User

I think one must use ammo suitable for the target animal, in this case none was specified.
    As a general rule for bushveld you can go slow and heavy in a cup and core and that combo should not fail.

But apples with apples and all, you expect me to pay between 5 and 10 k for a big animal I sure as hell won't choose a R500 box of cup and core over a R1000 box of Vor-tx. Well not me but just making a general statement, the average oke spending that type of cash must not be penny wise and pound foolish.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast