Cost?
    Recoil?
    Availability of Ammo?
    Longer lasting barrels?

Thanks in advance

User

Default Re: 6.5 grendel vs 243 Win

Hi

Depends what you would like to do with the rifle? I use my .243 for zebra and below up to 500m, shooting range up to 800m and that’s about it’s limits. I use the 90g Lapua Scenar-L and am really happy with great groups.

Almost all my friends who hunt with me own either a 6.5 cm or a 6.5x55 and they out range my 243 by a few hundred meters, but we bag the same animals when out hunting. The 6.5 can accommodate a heavier bullet so less affected by wind, and gives a bit more punch so it all comes down again to what you would like to do?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User

To answer the availability, 243 easy to get from anywhere, but when you reload yourself neither should be a problem, 6.5 barrel should last a few 100 rounds longer and with the right silencer recoil is almost zero on both rifles.

So my opinion can’t go wrong with either one. Go out and feel them both.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User

The 6.5 Grendel and .243 Winchester are two vastly different calibers.

Recoil will be negligible on both.

.243 ammunition should be available at most gun shops. 6.5 Grendel in South Africa at this stage probably means you will have to reload.

While I have never owned a .243, you could expect about 1500 accurate shots from a barrel. I don’t expect to shoot out my 6.5 Grendel barrel in less than 6000 shots.

In my opinion, the 6.5 Grendel is marginal for hunting the animals commonly on offer to the average biltong hunter. It does not generate enough energy to effect fast and ethical kills. It however makes an excellent range plinking round. I use it for hunting rifle competitions, and the barrel is slow to heat up in 10 shot strings. Shooting 108gr Lapua Scenar’s, the bullet stays supersonic beyond 800 meters. It may have a place hunting the Tiny-10 or so. I would honestly however rather hunt with a .223 Remington than a 6.5 Grendel.

The .243 to me is also not a great hunting cartridge if you compare it to the 6.5x55, .260 Remington or 6.5 Creedmoor. It makes for a good varminting round though. I am also not inclined to the .243 because of the reloading issues encountered with the formation of doughnuts in the case necks.

What is your intended purpose?

User

Quote Originally Posted by Wesley View Post
    In my opinion, the 6.5 Grendel is marginal for hunting the animals commonly on offer to the average biltong hunter. It does not generate enough energy to effect fast and ethical kills.
    Could you please elaborate on this? I have no experience with the 6.5 Grendel, but looking at the ballistics on paper I would have thought that it would be fine for impala and warthog sized game out to 200m or so.

User

Quote Originally Posted by TStone View Post
    Could you please elaborate on this? I have no experience with the 6.5 Grendel, but looking at the ballistics on paper I would have thought that it would be fine for impala and warthog sized game out to 200m or so.
    Sure, it could kill the animal, but take a look at some of the Youtube videos of the Americans hunting with their 6.5 Grendel AR’s. A little off the mark and the kill is somewhat delayed. It just can’t shoot a 120gr bullet fast enough to cause devastating trauma. A 120gr bullet at a MV of 2300fps, versus a 140gr bullet at 2700fps are two totally different things.

While the numbers may show promise, my experience is that terminal performance may be marginal.

I have switched to 100gr Nosler Ballistic Tips that should fly around 2650fps from a 20” barrel, but have already decided that I would much rather do the job with my .260 Remington or 7mm Mauser.

User

Cartridges does not kill, their only function is to house the powder that propels the bullet. The bigger the cartridge the more powder it contains and the faster you can shoot the bullet. In theory all you are doing is extending the range. So the Grendel at 100 yards is a Creedmoor at 300yards, and nobody says the Creedmoor is not capable of taking animals at 300 yards, that means the Grendel should do the same up close. I am willing to bet money people try and shoot animals at 200m with the Grendel and they are disappointed with what they see.

If you know you have limited case capacity, and you need to tailor your Grendel for hunting, for me that would be a 100gr Barnes TTSX or 100gr GMX at 2650ft/s, and that is MORE than enough medicine for your average bushveld hunter. If you are a plains hunter get a creed or sweed, simple as that.

I do own a 308 a d that's my go too hunting rifle.

Yea maybe now and then I'd take d 2nd rifle on a hunt but not to shoot anything bigger than a blesbok.

My other reason I want sum thing like this is for my son to learn on aswell.

So that's my reason for thinking of these optiona

User

For a rifle to teach kids shooting and hunting, I would rate the 6,5 Grendel highly. Reloading will be required, as decent hunting ammo will not likely be found on most shop's shelves. It fits a "mini" action (223 and 7,62x39 size) and recoil will be mild. If you can load a 120gn JSP bullet at 2300fps, you will get decent terminal ballistics. Barrel life should be excellent, far exceeding many of the popular high-performance calibers.

For your purpose, a 223 or 7,62x39 would be the suitable alternatives. All have their limitations, so work within them and you won't be dissapointed.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast