Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Default Re: 6.5 grendel vs 243 Win

My daughter is now 13. Been shooting with me couple of years. Bought her a Winchester 22lr Lever action. As its nice and short for a kid. 2 Years back decided to step it up. And got fascinated with the Gentleman's Caliber the 22 Hornet. But year ago sold it off and got a 222Rem for her to shoot. The 222Rem use to be a competition caliber years ago. And is renowned for accuracy. And since it was for range use only. I went with it for her. 222rem is more or less stuck to 52gr. 223 has more wieght options depending on twist rates. But 222rem case design although very slightly different then 223 gives better accuracy apparently. Will she ever need the small accuracy benefit over the 223. Maybe not. But since its a range rifle so far. I went with 222rem over 223.

User

As I have mentioned before in the states most PRS shooters uses 6mm now, 6.5 creedmoor was their flavor many years ago.
    So wrt to this thread, I would love a 6mm Creed in a normal hunting rifle configuration, as long as it comes with a fast twist like a 1 in 8.
    Animals up to kudu is not going to stop an 80gr TTSX for example, so it will make a great hunting rifle for any newcomers in the bush or on the plains.

User

How's the barrel life on the 6mm creed ?

Flavour now is 6mm ARC it seems.

User

Quote Originally Posted by moe786 View Post
    Thanks guys.

NO I have not settled on either 1 yet Koebel.
    Calibre: .308
    Barrel Length: 22" Fitted with a Gunworx Silencer
    Barrel Profile: Standard
    Stock Make: Howa
    Stock Material: Boyd's Laminated Pepper Thumb Hole Stock
    Scope Brand: Nikon
    Scope Model: Monarch 3 3-12x42 BDC
    Primary Application: Hunting and occasional Target shooting
    Best Accuracy Achieved: 3 holes touching at 100m all the time at the range.
    Blesbok taken at 270m headshot with not much effort
    Are you happy with your Howa: Very
    Comments:Very Happy with mine. Already purchased another howa 6.5 Grendle Rifle
    Your own post seems to disagree with you?

Quote Originally Posted by Koebelwagen View Post
    Your own post seems to disagree with you?
    Apologies Koebal.

Thanks for correcting me. I was meant to say considering buying the grendel. I jus edited on that post.

User

My issue with the 243 and more so 6mm bullets through years of use ( it was my childhood caliber as well) personal and professionally is on body shots the blood trail can be very marginal. Simply due to bullet diameter as well as not creating a double wound channel. Bushveld conditions exacerbate this.

Its potent for what it is.

I was looking at a grendel and would have bought one if I could have found a non bull barrelled version in mini action. Unfortunately I couldn't. Was to be a close range bush rifle. I've decided to settle on the Swede instead.

User

Apologies Koebal.

Thanks for correcting me. I was meant to say considering buying the grendel. I jus edited on that post.

User

Quote Originally Posted by SBB View Post
    My issue with the 243 and more so 6mm bullets through years of use ( it was my childhood caliber as well) personal and professionally is on body shots the blood trail can be very marginal. Simply due to bullet diameter as well as not creating a double wound channel. Bushveld conditions exacerbate this.

Its potent for what it is.

I was looking at a grendel and would have bought one if I could have found a non bull barrelled version in mini action. Unfortunately I couldn't. Was to be a close range bush rifle. I've decided to settle on the Swede instead.
    Good decision!

User

My other reason I want sum thing like this is for my son to learn on aswell.

So that's my reason for thinking of these optiona
    Kids grow up so fast, and licencing is so slow, it is not worth getting a special rifle, just for them. Teach them marksmanship with an air rifle, they can shoot all day and it cost only a few rand to shoot a lot. When they are competent with the pellet gun, then silence your 308, and load a few reduced pressure loads (say 30g of powder) so that they can get used to the heavy rifle. When they are comfortable and competent, you can take them hunting with full power loads, and they won't even notice the recoil. Both my daughters started shooting my 7x64 at age 9 and 11, and are now dropping springbok at 200m with ease.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast