Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4
    User

Default Re: 6.5 grendel vs 243 Win

Quote Originally Posted by Againstthegrains View Post
    Kids grow up so fast, and licencing is so slow, it is not worth getting a special rifle, just for them. Teach them marksmanship with an air rifle, they can shoot all day and it cost only a few rand to shoot a lot. When they are competent with the pellet gun, then silence your 308, and load a few reduced pressure loads (say 30g of powder) so that they can get used to the heavy rifle. When they are comfortable and competent, you can take them hunting with full power loads, and they won't even notice the recoil. Both my daughters started shooting my 7x64 at age 9 and 11, and are now dropping springbok at 200m with ease.
    I tend to disagree. Maybe if you only have 1 kid, then yes. My "kids guns" get passed from one to the next and get good use. An example: I fitted a stock with LOP adjustable buttstock (AR-type) to my 10/22. This allowed it to be adjustable to fit a 6-year-old comfortably and still fit my adult frame perfectly with just a click. And they all love it and shoot it well.

I have also seen that my kids did not take to the "normal" medium bore rifles very well at first. They did ask to shoot them, but then reverted to the intermediate and small calibers, in lighter rifles, for a while before progressing to the bigger calibers. I would rather have a kid shoot an animal well with a 223 than risking a poor shot from a 308. Off course, you do not allow them to shoot game that is too big for the particular caliber.

Default Re: 6.5 grendel vs 243 Win

The .243 is more 'powerful' ITO energy while still pushing a legitimate big game bullet, the Grendel you can easily shoot a larger bullet, which counts for something. lot of 120/123gr 6.5mm bullets which are the bread and butter weight in the 6.5G.

I have a Howa Mini in 6.5 Grendel here in Canada. It will be used on deer here this year with 100gr TTSX (getting 2700fps MV). Our northern deer here can easily get to 100kgs so are much bigger than Impala/Blesbuck and they have very thick coats, lots of fat in early winter, more like hartebees cow size class for larger bucks. With the TTSX I'll keep the ranges to sub-200, which is a longer shot for me anyway. I would use a softer bullet for open country.

It think its a very useful cartridge and in SA I think it would be excellent for impala/blesbuck class animals.

The Grendel is also very soft shooting, burns 4-5 grs more of the same powder than my .223 and does very well for velocity from a 20" barrel. A 20" .243 loses a bit of speed and is louder.

The Howa Mini is a lovely little action, the stock and plastic bottom metal are not great, but functional and affordable. More aftermarket parts are becoming available now, including hinged bottom metal. Mine wears a DIP aluminium bottom metal/trigger guard. CZ527 is nice too!

I think Koos Barnard shot up to waterbuck cow with his, he ran 2 articles in SA Hunter/Jagter about 18 months ago?)

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4