Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Default Re: Anyone had this before with UPS?

What is Port Health Charges. And surely they should have known about this when they sent request for the R797-05

I ordered yesterday 2 replacement trigger springs for 2 Sako rifles from Yodave. So this morning applied for Itac permit just in case. I think the people at Itac must be laughing as its 2 times 10mm long springs 4mm wide.

But I thought best to get before customs jumps up and down as the springs fit inside a trigger housing.

User

I honestly think they're just trolling me at this point...

Banned

UPS are a bunch of rogues. Friend of mine got creamed by them when he imported some rifle magazines from the US. He paid $120 shipping for $100 worth of stuff, then got whacked R980 import duties, whereas he would have paid $35 for shipping via USPS to SAPO and about R250 import duties.
    This was about 2 years years ago

Quote Originally Posted by BBT View Post
    UPS are a bunch of rogues. Friend of mine got creamed by them when he imported some rifle magazines from the US. He paid $120 shipping for $100 worth of stuff, then got whacked R980 import duties, whereas he would have paid $35 for shipping via USPS to SAPO and about R250 import duties.
    UPS follows SA tax law 100% ( Just like DHL, Fedex, etc )
    SAPO are too lazy and dont get prosecuted because Gov, so either charge too little or too much depending how they feel. Thats if your stuff isnt stolen.

Quote Originally Posted by pblaauw View Post
    After throwing toys on HeloPeter UPS finally responded. Wait for this:

Please note that an amount of R 797.05 was received but there is an additional amount of R246.50 for Port Health charges payable

What in the actual fk???
    Means it was sent to the so called "Port Health" department of customs due to it falling or possibly falling within a restricted product group.

All restricted product are supposed to go to these departments, but customs doesn't always follow their own rules. So sometimes you get these charges, sometimes you dont.

Some of the departments are Port Health, Plant Inspection, Veterinarian, Medicines Control

Quote Originally Posted by shooty View Post
    What is Port Health Charges. And surely they should have known about this when they sent request for the R797-05

Customs decides when and if the docs go to these other departments.
    The couriers have no idea what the customs official will decide.

Been having these "fun" issues for decades importing all kinds of commodities

Quote Originally Posted by BBT View Post
    The problem with Sapo that even in the best of times you have no idea if your parcel will arrive and when. Since the lockdown the unions have gleefully taken advantage of it and the sorting centre for mail or parcels hasn't been working for the last 3 months. They have opened the post offices for the grants but that's about it. There is no mail delivery since the beginning of the lockdown, call it a 3 months paid vacation. When they start retrenching people eventually the unions will whine and claim innocence but they are part of the problem of what Sapo has become.

User

Apologies for this partial hijack, but are there any local couriers, who have prepaid boxes and where I can drop them off, that aren't being blasted for bad service? Packages will be shipped locally. I'm going to need to send packages on a semi regular basis; currently my closest options are DSV, Postnet, SAPO and Aramex, but their Hellopeter reviews during these trying times are anything but flattering.

So just finding the least worst one would be all I can ask for.

Aramex local deliveries so far been great for shipping items for me on the odd occasion. Ive got mixed feelings currently with Aramex Global Shopper. As Ive now used them 3 times. 1 order ALiexpress sent to Honh Kong Address. They handled it quickly and I received quick. 2nd Order was from Ebay.uk. A Windscreen for Scooter. Was delivered to London Depot 10 July. After week did not show on my account. Had several emails and calls to JhB head office. Eventually Manager Taryn phones me says london says did not receive. So item lost on way to them. Not their problem. I contacted seller and ParcelForce. ParcelForce even sent me GPS location where item was signed for inside their security parking area. Aramex did not respond to me at all. On 27 July suddenly parcel appears on my account. 17 Days after delivery to them. I received item in this week. Box totally messed up but item fine inside.
    3rd order. Again Ali. Shipped by seller Tuesday. Delivered Wednesday in Shaghai Depot. Shows on my account Wednesday. This morning shows on plane to South Africa. So far only London order was total mess.

Fastway also seems pretty effective. As Ive regularly received items ordered quickly through them. I believe you get good deals with them if you pre buy bags.

Courier guy has been fantastic from local suppliers.
    Fastway not bad either

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast