Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: Pale Chanting Goshawk.

This afternoon, my wife saw a PCG trying to fly off with a freshly killed guinea fowl, a task it was unable to pull off. It then dropped the guinea fowl and flew off, however, when she passed the same spot an hour later, the PCG was back and most of the guinea fowl had been eaten.

The Gymnogene is a nest-robber and will avidly raid nest sites hanging as described, also has a double jointed leg to enable it to get into some tight spots and dig out its dinner. But the PCG isn't averse to a little nest raid or a bit of scavenging either, is unlikely to be hanging upside down to dig out a meal though. They are both very different in size though and Hunt very differently too.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Brenneke View Post
    The raptor you are describing is actually a -- Gymnogene ( now called an African Harrier Hawk / Kaalwangvalk )

https://www.hermanusonline.mobi/bird...lk-roberts-169
    They do look alike. To be honest I do not remember the exact look because there weren't many of these guys around and it was "back in the day".
    I am also a bit ashamed that I know the raptors so badly, when I was a kid they were on my list of 'the only things that matter' with sharks, dinos and snakes. Though both can be pretty mean to reptiles my favorites were the Berghaan and Langkuifarend

Banned

You did recall the red legs !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (I remember the long red legs and always wondered if it had any other uses for it), but then as mentioned, the PCG will not hang upside down - so what is it, hanging upside down or red legs?

User

Quote Originally Posted by treeman View Post
    You did recall the red legs !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (I remember the long red legs and always wondered if it had any other uses for it), but then as mentioned, the PCG will not hang upside down - so what is it, hanging upside down or red legs?
    Definitely hanging upside down but I might have remembered the red legs from trying to look up the species and then something that looks like it and thinking that must be it.

How come PCG's won't hang uncle?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Meteor View Post
    Definitely hanging upside down but I might have remembered the red legs from trying to look up the species and then something that looks like it and thinking that must be it.

How come PCG's won't hang uncle?
    Your answer is refreshingly accurate, most likely what happened in the memory. The Gymnogene and the Secretary bird are two unusual birds that both seem to have monkey like behavior and child like curiosity.

The Gymnogene is a amazing bird that seems to have mastered its body and is on a different level of prehensile ability. A normal flying bird comes no where near the two mentioned birds abilities to use their limbs as tools. I have watched Gymnogenes put there legs in holes and feel around for something in the hole.
    "
    How come PCG's won't hang", its just not in there evolution, development and present nature, character.

YOU WERE RIGHT BRENNEKE!, its also the bird I thought he meant, but when he said red legs, !! well that changed the story.
    I was taught. walking, hoping , flying bird.
    Beak, sead, insect catch, tearing cutting or necter collecting.
    Color of legs, wing tips and wing shape.
    Head ornamentation, crested, crowned, plumed or wattled.
    Color around eye.

User

Often find the Bleeksing Valkie, jackal and Ratel hunting together in the Kgalagadi

Quote Originally Posted by johanvb View Post
    Often find the Bleeksing Valkie, jackal and Ratel hunting together in the Kgalagadi
    And seen them hanging around cape cobras in the Kgalagadi, waiting for exiting of small mammals as the cobras enter the holds... Lovely birds.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2