User

Default 150gr cup/core bullets in a 308win.

Haven't started a bullet thread in a while. I fully understand importance of shot placement etc. I have come to be a big fan of 180gr bullets in a 308win. At 2450fps, it's holds together very well, penetrates very well, really I can't fault its performance. Out of curiosity I loaded up some 150gr bullets at 2700fps. What surprised me when running the numbers, that comparing the 180gr interlock to the 150gr interlock, the difference in trajectory is not all that big. I can understand using a high BC bullet ,the results will be different.
    But bearing in mind the minimal difference in trajectory, why would one still use the 150gr load that will most probably give greater meat damage/bullet break up ,up close?
    Having used the 180gr 308win combo for a while, I honestly believe it can be used as an "all rounder" both in the bush and out slight longer shots of need be .Bearing in mind most of my hunts are bushveld type hunts but are not limited to that.

User

Default Re: 150gr cup/core bullets in a 308win.

I used to do all my hunting in the eastern cape bush at ranges well below 200m and ran 180gr's, nowadays most of my hunting is in the northern cape and shots are seldom under 200m now and i have to take shots up to 400m, so I stick to 150gr as it does make enough of a difference.
    How much does does the trajectory differ at 300m with a 100m zero?

I might consider going in between to 168gr one day. Not now though , got comfortable with the 150gr and too much 150gr in stock.

User

I have done the full circle on the bullets. Go see my many what bullet for 308 threads started. After a few animals with different bullets. Here's my unprofessional Conclusion.

1.) Good 180gr cup and core like interlocks, pro amms at 2450fps penetrate well , pass through almost every time, give reliable predictable performance. It can be used as a 1 bullet solution for the average bushveld hunter if you know your drop further out or zero at 200m.(i used 180gr pro amms ,interlocks, pro hunters). In my opinion at this velocity premiums are not really required, though bigger animal this may be wise incase.

2.) 150gr cup and cores do work further out, close up if its not a head shot it may struggle against bones and meat damage is a concern. I have used 150gr interlocks as a practise round and also shot two impala.

3..)Quality Monos give consistent performance, penetrate very very well, less chance of failure. Are more expensive ,but you can practise with cheapies and hunt with these. (to be fair, i have only shot two wildebeest and one impala with 150gr Peregrines).

I started with the 180gr brownbox combo and only started looking at other options once i started reading on forums about premiums...I am back to using 180gr Interlocks(Prohunters discontinued). For eland il load some peregrines or swift A frames. Not something that gets hunted often..

User

Thanks for this discussion guys! What influence does ones barrel length an twist rate have to do with this?

Recent experiment:

After zeroing on 100m with Fed Fusion 165gr, I shot other rounds I have, just to check where they land. They also group well but there is a big difference to what is "center" for them.

All factory loads, all at 100m, 308 I zeroed on 165gr Federal Fusion. Honrnady SP, interlocks 180gr is also on the dot. PMP brown box 168 gr groups 15cm down!

My heavy (broth in law) with his 308 zeroed on blue box PMP 180gr. Then tried 180gr Federal Fusions and they group 12 cm to the right!

I did not expect there to be such a difference in 165gr Federals to 168gr PMP, but 180 gr hornadies to be also "on the dot" with the federals or lower grain.

My 308 dropped 20 cm on 200m with 165gr Fusions.

User

Cm's is a lot!

With me, loading 155gr Berger VLD's and Lapua Scenars to the same velocity, the Scenars print 1/2 MOA left and 1.75 MOA down.

The horizontal difference stays the same from 100m to 900m. Vertically the POI difference decreases to 1/2MOA at 900m because the Scenars have a better BC than the Berger VLD's.