Default Cheapy Generator to pair with UPS. What rating?

So I buckled and bought a small cheapy Ryobi 950w genny. Want to use it for keeping the internet, TV and one light on. simple enough...

HOWEVER, I need to pair it up with a UPS as it has no AVR and I am not certain what rating to pair it with because the genny user guide says the max power is 950w but its rated power is 650w? does this mean I have to pair it with a 950-1000va UPS or a smaller 650-850va?

Hopefully the question makes sense, and your help would be much appreciated.

Regards,
    Clintie

User

Default Re: Cheapy Generator to pair with UPS. What rating?

Quote Originally Posted by Clintoris View Post
    So I buckled and bought a small cheapy Ryobi 950w genny. Want to use it for keeping the internet, TV and one light on. simple enough...

HOWEVER, I need to pair it up with a UPS as it has no AVR and I am not certain what rating to pair it with because the genny user guide says the max power is 950w but its rated power is 650w? does this mean I have to pair it with a 950-1000va UPS or a smaller 650-850va?

Hopefully the question makes sense, and your help would be much appreciated.

Regards,
    Clintie
    In my spare time I fix these kinds of generators. Many times the issues you pick up with them are simple and easy to address, sometimes though they are not. One of the issues all of these small 2 stroke generators have in common is "dirty" output voltages.

I made the video below earlier this year when fixing a "750W" 2 stroke generator to illustrate what I mean. Depending on sensitivity your UPS might not want to run of that generator.

The issue is Me being a layman I dont know how sensitive the UPS is or if they even put that in the manual? People buy hundreds of generators and like me most of them are not too clued up. I basically need to know what my options are because I have this 650w 2-stroke genny and I need to use it with electronics.

Any suggestions?

Clintie

User

I took a old computer 1000w ups and just duct taped 2 larger capacity batteries on top of it and wired it in. It worked very well with my old tv, grinder, lights and hifi etc but it didn't want to work with my neighbour's flat screen tv, that tv didn't like the square block wave output of the ups.

User

There is a good chance a cheap UPS is just going to forward the dirty supply.
    I would honestly return the genny and put the money towards an inverter and battery.

That being said, if your equipment is relatively new and the load is stable, I would run the generator like it is.
    Most systems will handle the fluctuations if not too extreme.