Default Larger diameter Suppressor for a smaller caliber

So I know you can go down the scale when it comes to Suppressor vs Rifle caliber, so here is my question then.

A can designed for a 6.5 mm fitted to a .223 Rem rifle, how much db will I sacrifice ?

TIA

Banned

Default Re: Larger diameter Suppressor for a smaller caliber

I could not really tell differance when using a .308 suppressor on my .270, but I must say it was not a high end suppressor.

User

There are 2 dimensions you should take into account, the hole size and the can volume.

As the hole size increases, obviously more of the shock waves can pass through. Can the difference actually be measured? I don't know.

Then there is the can volume. This should correlate to the amount of powder burned. So if the bigger 6,5 can is mounted on a 223, it should be quieter.

Anyway, both will reduce the noise and pain significantly.

Measuring the actual noise reduction from a supressor is highly problematic. Very few sound measuring devices have fast enough response times to actually catch the peak of the pressure wave, as it passes very quickly. The placement of the pick-up (microphone) is also critical, as you need to avoid recording the pressure wave (sonic boom) produced by the supersonic bullet. Then there is the matter of noises getting reflected off any surfaces (like the ground or floor), affecting the readings. This is a process that needs a specialized lab and equipment, not a guy with an industrial sound meter on a shooting range. My point is that most quoted dB reduction numbers are pretty inacurate. Don't expect this to improve very soon.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by A-R View Post
    My point is that most quoted dB reduction numbers are pretty inacurate. Don't expect this to improve very soon.
    Perhaps "mostly inaccurate" would be more accurate.

Thank you so much for the valuable info

The idea is off course to have the hole slightly bigger then bullet. To have most of gasses still inside slowing down to reduce sound.

On some of these quick attach 22lr clip on silencers the holes are way bigger to allow for aligning.

Even if change just small or a fraction. Why not just get the correct designed item for the purpose.

Or is the plan to use 1 silencer on several calibers

Quote Originally Posted by shooty View Post
    The idea is off course to have the hole slightly bigger then bullet. To have most of gasses still inside slowing down to reduce sound.

On some of these quick attach 22lr clip on silencers the holes are way bigger to allow for aligning.

Even if change just small or a fraction. Why not just get the correct designed item for the purpose.

Or is the plan to use 1 silencer on several calibers
    Hi Shooty.

No the plan is not to use it on several calibers. I can get the secondhand 6.5 mm suppressor at a good price, 1/4 of a new one. Yes I agree that the correct one will be the right choice. So my pockets aren't deep at this moment for a new one, but I can pay R500 for this one. If it really doesn't work as expected I will donate it to a friend with a .243 Win rifle.

User

I have a Gunwarrior Shorty that I alternate between a 308 and 223. It is very effective on the 223. I am sure you will be able to get great results from a suppressor designed for 6.5mm on your 223.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Thank you for all the replies, much appreciated

Banned

I say again you will not really be able to notice it in regard to the calibers you mention, unless you have a real high end silencer.