Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    User

Question Hunting Alaska 2012

Hi guys,

Anyone out there been on one of these trips? I'm looking to book a trip for about 2weeks, hunting & fly fishing in Alaska.

Anyone been down this route before / have some info on this?

Regards

Braam

Default Re: Hunting Alaska 2012

I haven't don it but some of the people who did it said you huve to be very fit. Time to take the dag for a run around the blok

User

Really?! I wonder what the roads are like that you take from the town to the farm etc and how far you walk on an average day. Being fit isn't a problem - will give me something to work for (like getting the cash together won't be enough of a battle :D )

either way, this will be a friggen AWESOME trip as far as i am concerned - something I would love to do!!

What woul you be going after?

User

Well, I've spoken to some people from Alaska, still getting quotes to see what this would actually cost & also it seems a lot depends on WHERE you go in Alaska.

I'd like to hunt any of the following : Deer, Moose, Elk, Caribo and perhaps Bear, but you only get certain animals in Certain parts. Also if at all possible I'd like to combine the trip with a fly-fishing trip for salmon. Lol I'm told you have to either get a shotgun / .44Magnum if you go fly fishing since you'd be very likely to encounter BEARS !!

Cool thing the one guy tells me is that you can buy 30-06 ammo from the grocery store in Anchorage ! :D

Please keep a detailed log of your planning and the adventure itself. I would like to have a chat with you at some point as I would like to do a similar thing in the hpefulle not too distant future.

I think it must be an awesome experience. All of the best with the adventure ...

User

Optimistix, I've already opened an " Alaska File " ;)

User

Just bring a BFG with you, that is all that I can really advise, and in addition to that make sure your secondary is at the very minimum a .44-Magnum. Bear attacks are not uncommon, even in the parks in Anchorage itself (mind you, my wife and I were chased by a full-sized mamma moose last year in one of the parks too. Joy! Funny in retrospect though! *s* ;) ).

I plan on purchasing a stainless Marlin SBL .45-70 lever-action rifle for when we're out in the woods on hikes and the like. I have yet to hunt in Alaska but many, many people do. If you use a 12-gauge out here (as a cost effective bear defense), slugs will be preferable. Have yet to see ammo available at a grocery store though, not to say that may not be the case out in the sticks or smaller towns.

User

Vuilhond,

Just make sure you book with the right people like what you hear from people who shit book as they come diekant same can happen to you there. It's lots of money in the water throwing and you only pay for the trip whether you shoot your animal or not. It's one of my dreams for Moose and bear to go hunting and then going to catch salmon in one trip, and apparently you can do with seasons that followed on one another.

Google Translate

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast