Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Banned

Default Cody got his first Kudu

3rd year that I said he could if he did well enough at school.
    Year one he passed opportunity down and I shot kudu x a few. I had him on a bull and he sat there for a long time with out pulling trigger, said he was not ready, too scared and could not get steady. We let it walk, it's lucky day that was, I do not do "I saw it it must die". I tried him on a cow later and he said 'uh um, no Dad - I don't want too"

Second year I could not get him on a Kudu under 215 m, actually twice at same distance, he passed up both times as too far. Last year I posted a pic of him lying sleeping after a 04 in morning till same in afternoon - "out, klaar " sleeping on ground waiting for a Kudu.

This year I have no idea how he is doing at school, but I do know I asked him if he had finished his home work and he answered, " no Dad you said finished is not what matter, you said, "do I know my home work is more important", understand it is all that matters"
    I was chuffed and decided I would announce in bush that he could try again.

Cody has his rifle set in for 140 Nosler Partitions that we have about 70 of, so when we got too farm rifle was set in for the TSSx bullets as per T Stone and Messor

Now!, the problem arose, I have realized Cody would not be able too walk stalk a Kudu he just bottoms out mentally. All year he has been giving me hints, children do that stuff. Many a trip after school to house or work site would resulted with the statement " I don't know why Dad, but I just get scared when I see a Kudu, its so big" and many variations of that same "share".

We were in the bush by 05H00 and waited it out without luck, but I got too understand my boy a lot more that morning. Cody said to me " Dad!, if I get to try for a Kudu will you keep talking too me? I get nervous when you quiet", he also said" Dad will you keep your hand on me, I won't get scared then". Not the first time heard same words.
    Quick add in on post. I also had a client this week end that wanted too get too know himself. He wanted too come with too see if he could handle seeing things die and blood etc (Ya! weird, I know, but he is in security, but not on ground and he worried that the real thing time would cause him embarrassment). So Cody was given a .22 and the instructions to teach the uncle too hunt Dassie and Monkey (serious problem there and we have a open permit on species). I asked guy too please tell Cody when he learn't from him and when he was impressed, just to try promote Cody self image. This guy was truly on a trip when he returned, got a Monkey or two and a Dassie or 2, he was trippen on the hunt thing, turns out he never had a Dad, never did anything like fish, hunt, camp. Ended up calling Cody "Mr Cody" for next 2 days.
    You will see picture of him at first skinning.

So! knowing what I knew, I decided too put Cody in a tower and he was allowed too shoot a young bull if he got a chance. We agreed that a big bull would be given pass as it was above shooting from a hide, (funny in that way this child) The logic was we could see it come in, I could show, tell him, he had time, we could discuss shot and bullet placement etc.
    We were in place by 14H00 and waited it out, the wind was howling and it rained and the wind pumped and it was kak, kakker and worse weather. Some how the new guys amazement at it all just made it a fantastic time. I mean when you say ' fuck its cold" and hear ' Ya, its really nice hey?" then you appreciate the day.

We had given up and it was done, the Kudu were not coming in at minus 6 inch's and almost dark. More movement and silent show of lets go started arising.
    I did another scan and there at 102 m was 3 cows and a young bull.
    Cody took my hand placed it on his stomach area and started to rearrange his seat, pillow, seat ,rifle , seat, he just could not get " Cody sure'.
    I spoke too him, " put your mind in the scope, put the cross in your head boy, put it on the spot - do not worry about trigger yet, put your thoughts into the cross my boy", " tell me when you got a shot and then feel the trigger" " you good my boy?"
    "Dad I got him" - " Ok! keep all your brain on the cross, don't push ,pull rifle, just let it rest and keep pulling trigger - remember, Uncle Martin said it must give you a fright, just pull it slowly without thinking, think about the cross only and.... Dwaa! the shot went off and the Kudu dropped.

20200711_171150 by David Frank Allen, on Flickr

20200711_171517 by David Frank Allen, on Flickr

The new guy testing himself, he puked (as in really got sick) when Cody cut Kudu balls off. He then gagged for a while on every cut, but he just so suddenly got enthralled and did something weird !!!!!!! he asked if he could cut heart open too see inside. Strange but true.
    20200712_112043 by David Frank Allen, on Flickr

Now come the interesting part for us - the bullet !
    The Barns TSSX 120 gr at 110 to 120 m.
    It would appear the bullet exited higher than it entered and that there are 3 exit damage marks? I have my theory?. Broke both shoulders, he still shot high and far forward.
    20200712_120543 by David Frank Allen, on Flickr

Banned

Default Re: Cody got his first Kudu

ha ha, that guy battled like a trooper, he just forged forward. Amazing how he beat it all, he impressed me, I think, if I met his scale of friend factor and he was favorable, I may just have found a new friend.

my heart at the sea and my soul in the mountains

Thank you for sharing.
    live out your imagination , not your history.

User

Pragtig!!

Thanks for sharing. Please give Cody my congratulations.

User

Well done!

User

Well done young man!

User

Beautiful story, treeman! This story reminded me of my childhood days when my father taught me how to hunt. Thank you for sharing and a huge congrats to Cody!

User

Thanks for sharing treeman, and Cody.

User

Well done.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast