Thread: Zebra.

User

Default Zebra.

Although we have several herds of zebra (Burchell's) on the reserve they are really shy, despite the fact that they are not heavily hunted. In almost ten years, I have not been able to get a half decent photo. Normally when I have a camera I do not get an opportunity or I find them just standing around and do not have a camera. The only zebra I have on photos are dead ones posing with hunters. This morning I found a small herd and was able to snap a few photos before they left in a great hurry.

User

Default Re: Zebra.

Quote Originally Posted by TStone View Post
    Although we have several herds of zebra (Burchell's) on the reserve they are really shy, despite the fact that they are not heavily hunted. In almost ten years, I have not been able to get a half decent photo. Normally when I have a camera I do not get an opportunity or I find them just standing around and do not have a camera. The only zebra I have on photos are dead ones posing with hunters. This morning I found a small herd and was able to snap a few photos before they left in a great hurry.

Great shot, TStone!

Banned

That almost looks like a painting. Thanks for sharing.

User

Wow!!! Thank You For Sharing!!!

Banned

Nature is beautiful!

Just out of interest: how does one discern between mountain and plains zebra? Habitat, shadow stripes on the plains (Burchell's) sebra, and an enlarged throat skin on the mountain zebra.

Is it natural of the species to be shy? On one of the farms I visit often, there is a sole sebra mare who only comes down to drink when cattle is watering as well. Otherwise she stays out of sight.

User

I took this photo of a cape mountain zebra a few years ago in the Karoo National Park. As you mentioned, no shadow stripes, stripes do not go around belly and a bit of a dewlap.

They do seem to be more wary of humans than antelope and warthog in my experience.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Ds J View Post
    Nature is beautiful!

Just out of interest: how does one discern between mountain and plains zebra? Habitat, shadow stripes on the plains (Burchell's) sebra, and an enlarged throat skin on the mountain zebra.

Is it natural of the species to be shy? On one of the farms I visit often, there is a sole sebra mare who only comes down to drink when cattle is watering as well. Otherwise she stays out of sight.
    Also A lot more stripes, slightly smaller than burchells Zebra and naturally where you find mountain zebra there should be no issue distinguishing, as there won't be burchells :)

Sent from my VTR-L09 using Tapatalk

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by TStone View Post

Wraggies n pajamadonkie

Banned

Arrow Re: Zebra.

Quote Originally Posted by Roguemeister View Post
    Also A lot more stripes, slightly smaller than burchells Zebra and naturally where you find mountain zebra there should be no issue distinguishing, as there won't be burchells :)
    iDube
    ( Ebony and Ivory )
    Some interesting info about Southern African species

https://singita.com/wildife-report/distinguishing-stripes/

I do wonder though if the Plains and Mountain species are so definitely range specific ?

User

Quote Originally Posted by Brenneke View Post
    iDube
    ( Ebony and Ivory )
    Some interesting info about Southern African species

https://singita.com/wildife-report/distinguishing-stripes/

I do wonder though if the Plains and Mountain species are so definitely range specific ?
    In today's fragmented landscape, it's easy to see why they are separated so definitively.

Evolutionary speaking, again, there's a reason why a species splits into two sub species.