Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Egyptian Geese

Default Egyptian Geese

Gyppos were full up yesterday. First sunny day we have
    had for a while. Hunted the dams and lucerne fields.

Attachment 31994

Banned

Default Re: Egyptian Geese

You in WP country?

Quote Originally Posted by driepootx View Post
    You in WP country?
    Eastern Cape.

User

Very nice, well done!! Any prep and recipes you care to share?

Banned

We have a planned waterfowl hunt on the weekend of 21 August. Really looking forward to it. Vaaldam area.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Luker View Post
    Gyppos were full up yesterday. First sunny day we have
    had for a while. Hunted the dams and lucerne fields.

Attachment 31994
    Waidmanssheil!

What gun/choke/ammo are you using?

I'm going goose hunting tomorrow night. We'll be shooting over water, with a German Wirehaired retriever. I'm really looking forward to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Wild coast View Post
    Very nice, well done!! Any prep and recipes you care to share?
    After 2 weeks or so of really bad weather the geese started moving on Wednesday / Thursday.

The farmers send us pics when they see them to let us know where they are feeding so we
    can plan where to put the guns.

We had 2 guns in a hide in the Lucerne lands near a pivot with the decoys spread in a U shape at 25 - 30 meters.
    With the wind and the sun behind the guns it made for perfect flights into the decoys. The hides are a
    combination of natural foilage and camo nets which we spend a lot of time on to make sure they look as
    natural as possible.

North of the hide is a dam a few kilometers away where I was walking the banks to keep them from
    settling in the water when they come overhead after the shooting starts from the first hide. One gun
    was also in a hide on the bank of the dam about 200 meters from me. My dog and I were patrolling the
    river banks, parts of the river and the dam wall. We use natural cover while waiting for the birds.

North of the dam is another Lucerne land where the farmer was keeping them from settling in the lands.

Soon after the first shots from the pivot the birds came in squadrons overhead. After I started shooting
    the birds banked towards the gun in the hide on the dam wall which offered great shots. My dog had his
    hands full with the retrieves on the water as well as cripples and runners in the surrounding bush and reeds. From
    the dam they flew North to the Lucerne lands where the farmer kept them from settling.

This was the pattern the whole afternoon but the geese came in smaller and smaller groups or pairs until
    the sun started getting low. We all gathered at the pivot to pack up and to use my dog to make sure we found
    the cripples and dead geese in the Lucerne.

The mandatory braai afterwards was great with a six pack of illegal but freely available
    beer and cigarettes.

Quote Originally Posted by Socrates View Post
    Waidmanssheil!

I'm going goose hunting tomorrow night. We'll be shooting over water, with a German Wirehaired retriever. I'm really looking forward to it.
    My over under is at the gunsmith because the firing pin got stuck in the snap cap and I
    dont know if I damaged it when I forced it open. Fuck up; so I used my side by side with full
    and three quarter choke. Superb gun but I seldom use it for fear of damaging it because most
    times we get wet or we end up in the bush and reeds looking for birds. I enjoy ambush hunting
    but it has its perils.

I use No 1 or 2 on full choke and No 3 on three quarter choke with both my guns. It works for me
    but my hunting buddies also all use no 1 - No 3 for gyppos. Spurwing No 1.

Quote Originally Posted by driepootx View Post
    We have a planned waterfowl hunt on the weekend of 21 August. Really looking forward to it. Vaaldam area.
    Good luck !

Quote Originally Posted by Socrates View Post
    Waidmanssheil!

Hope it goes well.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast