Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    User

Default Portuguese 1904 DMGLM and Union of SA Rifles Survey

Hello everyone,

I am conducting a research survey into surviving examples of the Portuguese model of 1904 rifles that were in Portuguese East Africa and marked "D.M.G.L.M". Since there is virtually no information on these rifles, and their history, I thought I would take the initiative and see if we can contribute to the domain of historical knowledge and, perhaps, make some new conclusions about these very interesting pieces. My overall goal is to have this information remain public and be available to anyone who wishes to learn more about their rifle.

I am also looking into Union of South Africa marked examples to see if there are any commonalities for serial number ranges and contract markings that can shed more light on these unique Mausers.

To facilitate the survey, I have started a thread over at Gunboards (Click here for link). I plan on updating the survey as new information and time permits. If you are in possession of a D.M.G.L.M rifle, and wish to have your rifle included, simply post on Gunboards with the requested information, and I will add it to the list. Don't forget to share some pictures of your prized rifle so we can all enjoy.

If you do not wish to sign up for Gunboards, you are more than welcome to send the information to me via private message or post here. If you wish to share the pictures of your rifle on the research thread, you can also share those with me and I can post them on your behalf along with an analysis of the rifle.

Thank you to all who wish to participate, with your help, we can shed some light on a unique piece of military firearm's history.

User

Default Re: Portuguese 1904 DMGLM and Union of SA Rifles Survey

User

Hi Terrylee,

Thank you for sharing, it is interesting to see your rifle has a serial number on the right side of the receiver, I have only seen one other one so far that has a serial number but she is a DMGLM marked rifle.

I am curious, have you taken your rifle apart to examine the markings below the wood line ? Have you also had a chance to take her out the range ? Out of curiosity, are the numbers matching on main parts ?

Thanks, I look forward to hearing back from you.

User

Hi Nabs,

The numbers on the barrel and trigger-guard are the same as those previously posted. Have not shot it for many years. Prefer shooting more modern rifles. This piece is a respected wall-hanger of South African military interest.

User

Nit-picking maybe, but these rifles are definitely not Mausers. They may have been made in the DWM factoy, alongside Mauser rifles. The rifle was designed by José Alberto Vergueiro and the action was based on a Mannlicher but did share some features with the 1888 Commission rifle (designed by a German commission, not Paul Mauser). So, calling it a Mauser is not correct in any way and actually detracts from the unique design and history of this rifle.

User

So, calling it a Mauser is not correct in any way and actually detracts from the unique design and history of this rifle.[/QUOTE]

Yes, A-R, you are technically correct. However, from a military perspective I can mention that an official document in the South African Military Archives refers to these rifles as "Portuguese Mausers 6.5mm"

User

I think we can all agree these rifles are quite unique, both in their design and where they served.

Terrylee, my interest is peaked when you mentioned the trigger guard matches the serial number on the receiver as many of the 1904's I have observed are mis matched. My example, is a mix master of parts but after taking her out to the range yesterday, she performed very well. Is there, by chance, a serial number on the wood just below the one on the receiver ? I am curious if the stock is matching.

edit: I can't believe I missed it but I just noticed your bolt body matches as well, that is incredible.

User

There is a very faint number stamped into the wood just below the receiver number. Unfortunately, it has been largely obscured by a superficial scuff. Enough remains to show that they were originally not the same.

User

Hi Terry,

Thank you for confirming that, still she is a very interesting rifle. I am curious, are there any UDF markings on the top of the butt plate tang ? I have seen some photos of other 1904s that were marked by the UDF in this manner.

User

Yes, Nabs, It does have the UDF stamp on the butt plate. Same as all the other ex-UDF Portuguese Mausers that I've come across.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast