Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    User

Default New Winchester M70s

Good day all

I see Suffer and Outrageous have picked up a Winchester agency and they have a healthy stock of Winchester Mod 70 in stock.

Does anyone have experience with the new guns?

I'm thinking of getting one come bonus time. And I know there are Howa's etc, but I just want a pretty, classic, K98 based gun.

Shot a lot (well not so much anymore)

CH.

User

Default Re: New Winchester M70s

Like you, I have a soft spot for a K98 action. If they come in 7x64, then you must buy one.

User

They are now made in Portugal, not in the US of A. I have not shot one but the ones I've handled look to be well made. I would not mind a Mod. 70 Safari Express in .375 H&H.

User

Quote Originally Posted by TStone View Post
    They are now made in Portugal, not in the US of A. I have not shot one but the ones I've handled look to be well made. I would not mind a Mod. 70 Safari Express in .375 H&H.
    I had a look at that, the Porra's assemble them from FN made barrels and bits, the one I had a look at was nice than the CZ I finger banged alongside it.

Does explain the slight preggo smell the rifle I handled had....

User

They’re one of the few options left if you’re looking for a reasonably priced crf action - now that the CZ550 is out of production. I have a sporter model in 30-06 and am very happy. The .375 Safari Express is calling...

User

I bought a Mod 70 sporter, pre-64 action in 300WM about 2 years ago. I have a Mod 70 that was made in 69, but is push feed and wanted a 30 caliber rifle so stuck with the Winchester Mod 70 theme.

I absolutely love the rifle. It is well finished, well put together, has a recessed crown and is accurate. The control feed works nicely and the extractor claw is huge.

If i had the bucks and wanted another hunting rifle, i would definitely get another one.

User

What calibre Hook, I know of a pristine 243 circa 1970s that belongs to my friends dad. Its in KZN though...

User

Are the new ones all metal parts? The reason I ask, is that I own 3 rifle actions, one from 1915, the other 1953, and my latest acquisition is a Howa which is also 100% metal parts (except the stock of course). I must say, I just cannot bring myself to buy a rifle that has plastic bits. When I see how well my old rifles have lasted, I think it a shame to put plastic on a rifle action, e.g. trigger guard or magazine. I know, that plastic just does not last, and when you go to a gun shop in 50 years time with grandad's Tikka or Savage to get a new plastic bit, they are going to laugh at you and say it was discontinued 40 years ago.

User

I have four of them: two Sporters (30-06 and 338 WM), a Featherweight in 243 and a Safari in 375. These are all late model Pre-64 type actions and all of them from Portugal. My views on them are as follows:

1. The Portuguese made rifles appear to be better made than the last ones still made in the US. The fit and finish appears to be just a touch better. All parts are metal except for the grip cap and recoil pad
    2. The stocks are made of decent wood and generally are quite pleasing in appearance. You can get a nicer piece of wood by choosing a Super Grade for a few bucks more. The standard ones are pretty decent though and I preferred that to the slightly more shiny Super Grade. They are quite sleek and feel sleek in the hands as well.
    3. Fitting is good and better than on most production rifles. Checkering is neat and did not show any flaws. I believe it is laser cut. Either way, the patterns are nice and functional
    4. The metal work is very nice and the blue is deep and appears to be quite durable.
    5. Control feed action with adjustable trigger. The triggers are adjustable down to about 3 lbs if I recall and the trigger has zero creep or travel. It breaks very clean. It is a slight mission to get the resin off the adjusting screws first time around, but its worth it. I find them quite light for a hunting rifle and a good trigger goes a long way in helping with accuracy on a light weight rifle
    6. The Featherweight 243 has tested my skills in the reloading room. To date, I am not overly pleased with its accuracy, but it is acceptable. The other rifles are all sub MOA rifles for 5 shot strings. The 375 and 30-06 produces around 0.8MOA consistently with Nosler Accubonds or Norma Oryx. The 338 is something special. With that thin barrel one needs to take it slow not to heat it up too much, but it shoots 0.5 MOA with Accubonds rigth from a cold, clean barrel, which is somewhat of an exception amongst my hunting rifles.
    7. They tend to be prone to copper fouling, although it is not a major issue. I clean my rifles completely after every shoot and they require a bit more tlc to get the copper out, compared to any of the other rifles I have. I have never fired so many shots with any of them at a given time to show a deterioration in accuracy as a result of fouling, but it is noticeable once the cleaning starts. I broke them in according to instruction from Winchester. I cant say if it made any difference, but it made me feel better about taking care of them. From the interwebs it appears that they are indeed prone to some fouling, so I guess thats something that one needs to live with.

In short, I love them. A lot. You wont regret buying one.

User

Quote Originally Posted by RigardtS View Post
    6. The Featherweight 243 has tested my skills in the reloading room. To date, I am not overly pleased with its accuracy, but it is acceptable.
    I found my 243 Model 70 likes a lighter bullet. I was using 100gr bullets and had okay accuracy. I tried 87gr Peregrines and now have three holes cutting each other at 100m.

Maybe try a lighter bullet.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast