Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 11 to 19 of 19
  1. #11
    User
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Age
    49
    Posts
    6

    Default Re: New Winchester M70s

    Thanks Ady. That is very handy advice. I have tried many a bullet, but not Peregrines. May I ask what powder you are using with this bullet?

  2. #12
    User
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Port Elizabeth
    Posts
    5,060

    Default Re: New Winchester M70s

    Quote Originally Posted by RigardtS View Post
    Thanks Ady. That is very handy advice. I have tried many a bullet, but not Peregrines. May I ask what powder you are using with this bullet?
    Peregrine VGR 4 & VRG 5 bullet
    39.0gr S365 (That give me around 2729 fps)

    My 100gr bullets were doing just shy of 3000 fps with 40.5gr S365 (that was way back in 2005 when i loaded a whole wack of ammo).

    Lighter and slower seems to do the trick.

  3. #13
    User
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Age
    49
    Posts
    6

    Default Re: New Winchester M70s

    Quote Originally Posted by ady View Post
    I found my 243 Model 70 likes a lighter bullet. I was using 100gr bullets and had okay accuracy. I tried 87gr Peregrines and now have three holes cutting each other at 100m.

    Maybe try a lighter bullet.
    Quote Originally Posted by ady View Post
    Peregrine VGR 4 & VRG 5 bullet
    39.0gr S365 (That give me around 2729 fps)

    My 100gr bullets were doing just shy of 3000 fps with 40.5gr S365 (that was way back in 2005 when i loaded a whole wack of ammo).

    Lighter and slower seems to do the trick.
    Im on Norma with the powder, but will match your outcome. Im keen to give it a whirl. Will let you know how it goes. Thanks again for the advice.

  4. #14

    Default Re: New Winchester M70s

    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Hook View Post
    Good day all

    I see Suffer and Outrageous have picked up a Winchester agency and they have a healthy stock of Winchester Mod 70 in stock.

    Does anyone have experience with the new guns?

    I'm thinking of getting one come bonus time. And I know there are Howa's etc, but I just want a pretty, classic, K98 based gun.

    Shot a lot (well not so much anymore)

    CH.
    You said Bonus and 2020 in same sentence. You meant 2021 right.

  5. #15
    User
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Port Elizabeth
    Posts
    5,060

    Default Re: New Winchester M70s

    Quote Originally Posted by RigardtS View Post
    Im on Norma with the powder, but will match your outcome. Im keen to give it a whirl. Will let you know how it goes. Thanks again for the advice.
    That will be interesting to see what you get. Please let us know.

    You will have to strip all the copper fouling out of your barrel before shooting monolithic bullets like Peregrine. I learned that lesson too. Your accuracy will be all over the place.

    Happy to help. Good luck

  6. #16
    User
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    JHB
    Age
    37
    Posts
    2,609

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by shooty View Post
    You said Bonus and 2020 in same sentence. You meant 2021 right.
    Nah. The owner of a gunshop I help out at needs an extra hand so it's a second job bonus.

  7. #17
    User
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Garden Route
    Age
    50
    Posts
    426

    Default Re: New Winchester M70s

    Quote Originally Posted by ady View Post
    That will be interesting to see what you get. Please let us know.

    You will have to strip all the copper fouling out of your barrel before shooting monolithic bullets like Peregrine. I learned that lesson too. Your accuracy will be all over the place.

    Happy to help. Good luck
    Good advice... me too.

  8. #18
    Moderator KK20's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    my heart at the sea and my soul in the mountains
    Posts
    12,974

    Default Re: New Winchester M70s

    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Hook View Post
    I had a look at that, the Porra's assemble them from FN made barrels and bits, the one I had a look at was nice than the CZ I finger banged alongside it.

    Does explain the slight preggo smell the rifle I handled had....
    .
    live out your imagination , not your history.

  9. #19
    User
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Justin, Texas
    Age
    61
    Posts
    692

    Default Re: New Winchester M70s

    IMO the current iteration M70 is as good and possibly better than any previous generation.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •