Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Right Handed, Left eye dominant - left hand vs right hand rifle

As the title states, I shoot left due to a left eye dominance even though I am right handed.

I am really struggling to find a rifle(6 or 6.5 CM) in left hand so I am thinking about just buying a right handed rifle. S&O told me to expect a wait of over 2 years for instance.

I will use a chassis system and mainly use the rifle for PRS, but also some hunting. I am looking at Tikka T3x , Rem 700 or Howa 1500 HB

The question:

What are the Pro's and Cons of using a right hand rifle if I shoot left?

If I stick to left, should I just go custom? Would need to find a good custom rifle builder in SA.

User

Default Re: Right Handed, Left eye dominant - left hand vs right hand rifle

Same issue here.
    I have tried to use a left handed rifle once and never again! I maybe left eye dominant but I am right handed. I struggled to cycle the bolt, load the magazine, etc on a left handed rifle. I have spent so much of my life shooting left with a right handed rifle that it is now the norm. I am no slower than your average righted handed shooter.

I did have a lever action rifle for awhile and it was very convenient. Also, being right handed, I shoulder the rifle on my right side and a left handed rifles bolt catches you in the side.

User

I am also Left Eye and right hand dominant, never found anything odd about shouldering a right handed rifle in my left shoulder.

I am right handed and left eye dominant.

However I stuck to shooting right handed. Handgun no big issue of course

With Bolt rifle I close left eye before shooting.

And I even shoot Shotgun clays. I keep both eyes open until last fraction of a second close left and pull trigger.

I believe using a right hand rifle when shooting left handed. Will only affect you if the stock has cheek piece only on one side for right handed shooter. Some stocks.

User

I'm a lefty, shooting a right hand bolt rifle in a left hand stock.
    I've been shooting like this since . 22 school days, Bisley, hunting, shotgun.
    I find it very easy, and reloading is quick when required on a hunt.

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

User

Quote Originally Posted by ABLZA View Post
    As the title states, I shoot left due to a left eye dominance even though I am right handed.

I am really struggling to find a rifle(6 or 6.5 CM) in left hand so I am thinking about just buying a right handed rifle. S&O told me to expect a wait of over 2 years for instance.

I will use a chassis system and mainly use the rifle for PRS, but also some hunting. I am looking at Tikka T3x , Rem 700 or Howa 1500 HB

The question:

If I stick to left, should I just go custom? Would need to find a good custom rifle builder in SA.
    I have made the switch to left handed rifles, and it's made my life much easier, once you practice with the bolt a bit it becomes 2nd nature.

Humansdorp coop had quite a few left handed zastavas in smaller calibers about 2 months ago, I'd give them a shout if I were you.

Otherwise Sabi rifles can build you a left handed rifle for 30 odd grand, which isn't breaking the bank compared to other custom builds you could get done.

The only reason I would keep a right handed rifle around nowadays is if someone wants to come shoot it, most likely they will be right handed

Sent from my VTR-L09 using Tapatalk

User

I'm also right handed and left eye dominant and been shooting normal bolt action rifles out the left shoulder for years now. Shooting a semi auto is amazing because my co-ordinated hand works the bolt and does mag changes.

The only down side i can think of is you don't have a nice cheek piece on the stock, but who cares about that, it isn't uncomfortable to shoot without a cheek piece. I wouldn't actually know what to do with a cheek piece.

I fitted a ammo caddy thing (one of those elastic ammo holder things that slip over the stock) and the beauty is that no one can shoot my rifle unless they shoot out the left shoulder. None of this "can i have a shot" rubbish.

I am a proper left hander. Left handed and left eye dominant. I shot with a right handed rifle most of my life until about 10 years ago when I got a left handed 338 Sabi.

Unless you want to pay a premium, stick to a right handed rifle. That said if you are really keen to get a left handed rifle, speak to SABI Arms. I believe they now manufacture their own actions which are affordable.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by ABLZA View Post

The question:

Your have several options:

- Custom built: buy a left handed action, a barrel, stock etc and build the rifle of your dreams. Contact Finkelstein here on the forum to help sourcing the goodies.

- Learn to shoot a right handed rifle left handed. It takes some time to train the left hand to work the bolt, but it is very possible.

- Get a Ruger No I rifle. They are truly ambidextrous.

- I have read about a conversion piece for a right handed bolt action once. It is a piece of metal clamped to the bolt, which protrudes towards the left hand side of the rifle. From the article it seemed cumbersome and unnecessary.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast