Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    User

Default DIGITAL POWDER SCALE RECOMMENDATIONS

May I please have your thoughts or recommendations for which digital powder scale to consider purchasing.

My little MTM digital pocket scale recently croaked, and I thought I'd replace it, but with something more substantial and durable - possibly even mains-powered, instead of battery (I also have an OHaus / Dillon beam scale, which is mostly what I use to weigh loads).

TIA.

User

Default Re: DIGITAL POWDER SCALE RECOMMENDATIONS

Not even sure if you are still able to get them, but I've had a Lyman scale for more than 10 years now. Working regularly and still going strong and accurate as long as you use good batteries.

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

I have the Layman Gen 6 electronic dispenser as well as a small Frankfort Arsenal digital scale. The small scale is used for working up loads, loading just a few loads and checking the loads of the dispenser. Works well for me.

If you want something super accurate, look at the peregrine little scale. You can trickle into it. Its pretty close to my A&D scale

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

Pedigrene

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey
    I use the Honardy GS1500. 3 years now n no issues.

Takes 2mins to calibrate and I make it a habit to do it always before using it.
    It comes with a weight so a touch of 3 buttons and ur done

User

Great - thanks for the replies.

I didn't even know that Peregrine have a scale.

Quote Originally Posted by StanCT View Post
    Great - thanks for the replies.

I didn't even know that Peregrine have a scale.
    Neither did i

User

This may not be the answer that you want to hear, but the best powder scale is not electronic.

Electronic scales have their place and uses, but having used a bunch of them I now prefer the old mechanical beam scale for powder weighing.

There are quite a few Gunsite discussions on the topic, so I'm not going to repeat it all.

Let me just point out that I'm most certainly not against all the modern electronic scales and powder dispensers. They do have their place, just not on my reloading bench.

I now use a home-built electronic (automatic) trickler along with my beam scale. A charge, just 0,5 gn or less than desired gets dispensed by a drum type powder measure, then the trickler button is pressed and it completes the load to within less than 0,1 gn. This is quite a bit faster than any commercial electronic powder dispenser and the charge is weighed more accurately than what any electronic scale can do repeatedly.

User

Quote Originally Posted by A-R View Post
    This may not be the answer that you want to hear, but the best powder scale is not electronic.
    Thanks, A-R - true, yes - as mentioned in my OP, my beam scale is my primary.

What I struggle with sometimes is making sure that my eye is 'dialled in', so to speak.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast