Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    User

Default Re: DIGITAL POWDER SCALE RECOMMENDATIONS

As mentioned, a proper beam scale is the best.

I currently use a RCBS m500 beam scale when hand loading and a Frankford ds750 digital scale for weighing things like cases, bullets, getting a quick charge weight from my progressive or comparing the odd charge to my beam scale.

Something I have noticed from the cheaper digital scales (all of them were less than 2k) is that they are not so accurate when trickling (never played with any of the dispensing scales) and they need to warm up to read accurately, also some seem to be affected by digital devices.

When following the Frankford directions (1 hour acclimation in the room before use) and calibrating it before I use it, it has matched my RCBS m500 exactly, if not doing the above, I have seen it differ.
    I have no doubt that as the batteries drain the results may be questionable, unfortunately this scale is only powered by battery.

It does the job as a cheap pocket scale.

User

Quote Originally Posted by StanCT View Post
    Thanks, A-R - true, yes - as mentioned in my OP, my beam scale is my primary.

What I struggle with sometimes is making sure that my eye is 'dialled in', so to speak.
    What helps me is to place the beam scale at eye level. I also want to move it's support totally off my loading bench in order to isolate it from all press-induced vibrations.

The problem with a digital read-out is that you actually have to read it. After 50 rounds, 42,2 gn and 44,2 gn looks very similar to my eyes.
    With the balance beam, you just have to check for the alignment of 2 lines. Not much room for error here.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Mischif93 View Post
    As mentioned, a proper beam scale is the best.

I currently use a RCBS m500 beam scale when hand loading and a Frankford ds750 digital scale for weighing things like cases, bullets, getting a quick charge weight from my progressive or comparing the odd charge to my beam scale.

Something I have noticed from the cheaper digital scales (all of them were less than 2k) is that they are not so accurate when trickling (never played with any of the dispensing scales) and they need to warm up to read accurately, also some seem to be affected by digital devices.

When following the Frankford directions (1 hour acclimation in the room before use) and calibrating it before I use it, it has matched my RCBS m500 exactly, if not doing the above, I have seen it differ.
    I have no doubt that as the batteries drain the results may be questionable, unfortunately this scale is only powered by battery.

It does the job as a cheap pocket scale.
    I think that ALL electronic scales have issues with powder trickling. I have not seen one that doesn't, and that includes the expensive dispenser types. They all have to be warmed up and calibrated. They are all affected by electromagnetic fields such as are generated by cell phones, neon lights, fan motors and many other electrical devices that we surround ourselves with.

Yes, they are great for sorting bullets and cases by weight. Beam scales really suck at that...

User

Quote Originally Posted by A-R View Post
    I think that ALL electronic scales have issues with powder trickling. I have not seen one that doesn't, and that includes the expensive dispenser types. They all have to be warmed up and calibrated. They are all affected by electromagnetic fields such as are generated by cell phones, neon lights, fan motors and many other electrical devices that we surround ourselves with.

Yes, they are great for sorting bullets and cases by weight. Beam scales really suck at that...
    Couldn't agree more and thanks for that about the dispensing scales, I have never been able to get some hands-on experience with one so thanks for confirming my suspicions :)

I actually do the exact same thing as you when working with my beam, to the point where I put it on a granite top or a pane of glass, I'm very particular about certain things (both a blessing and a curse).

User

Somebody on GS had his laptop with a cheap web cam connected, aimed at his beamscale needle, on his reloading bench and now he only have to look at the screen for reference.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Vaal View Post
    Somebody on GS had his laptop with a cheap web cam connected, aimed at his beamscale needle, on his reloading bench and now he only have to look at the screen for reference.
    Clever idea :-)

User

I switched to the Peregrine scale and I think it is one of the best reloading investments I've made. I have seen my ES and SD decrease.

Quote Originally Posted by Vaal View Post
    I think it was Andrew Leigh. Clever idea indeed.

I only heard good things about the Perigrine on the Jaracal forum. Thise that have them are happy, and they don't sell them. So I'm not sure if you can still get them new.

I use a Smartreloader electronic scale in conjunction with a Lee beam scale. I start off with a charge just below the intended load on the Smartreloader. Then I transfer the propellant to my beam an trickle up to the desired charge.

User

A good idea and solution for a big screen experience as Andrew posted previously for viewing the scale.

https://www.gunsite.co.za/forums/sho...-benches/page3

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast