User

Default Saiga 12 Gauge Semi Auto

Hi there

Really interested in this firearm can anybody more experienced tell me more on the pros and cons to the firearm?

Thanks

User

Default Re: Saiga 12 Gauge Semi Auto

I have only ever shot it on one occasion, but it was a hell lot of fun and the fastest that I went through 10x 12 gauge rounds It is most certainly on my wishlist.

User

Pro: magazine fed so reloads are faster than with a tube fed. At least way faster than I can reload a tube

Con: apparently some aren't super reliable and need fettling. The one I shot ran through 50 rounds fine FWIW

User

Feed issues is what I experienced, only brief use though, but enough to send me looking elsewhere.

I dont like the fact that with most if not all magazine fed shotguns you do not have the ability to quickly chamber just one extra round by hand.
    You have to load it into the mag first.
    The mags are also slow to load. So its quick if you have another mag ready, but slow once your mags are empty or you want to top them up.

The mags are also darn heavy and get in the way when moving in tight spaces

on the edge of the gene pool, playing with an open container of HTH

Quote Originally Posted by oafpatroll View Post
    Con: apparently some aren't super reliable and need fettling.
    Hit with shovel!
    "Always remember to pillage before you burn"
    Unknown Barbarian

User

Quote Originally Posted by Mark357 View Post
    I dont like the fact that with most if not all magazine fed shotguns you do not have the ability to quickly chamber just one extra round by hand.
    You have to load it into the mag first.
    The mags are also slow to load. So its quick if you have another mag ready, but slow once your mags are empty or you want to top them up.

The mags are also darn heavy and get in the way when moving in tight spaces
    Hold up...

While I agree it's slower to load 1 round into the gun compared with a Tube fed Shotty that's a really limited scenario use in both sport and defence. Same with loading a completely empty shotgun in that it's a limited scenario. For sport and if you're using it for defensive use you would probably be better prepared.

Now, I do believe loading a 10 round mag in a Saiga would be faster than load 10 rounds into a Tube Fed Shotgun, more so with the new models that use a magwell and don't rock and lock like the older generations.

Newer Generation Saiga12's with the Factory Magwell are better than the older generations that rock and lock. The ammo is presented from the mag at a better feed angle, the bolt is almost machined differently to make it easier to seat a mag on a closed bolt vs down loading the mag with the rock and lock type or modifying.

Pretty much most Saiga 12's prefer hotter loads, but can run reliably on lower power loads if tuned (or being a commie shovel, you get a nice one), unless you are springing for the Saiga 12 340, those are designed for IPSC Shotgun out the box.

Running a good amount of high brass hot loads through a new Saiga is a great way to break it in, and often times loosens it up enough that it will cycle lower power rounds.