Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    User

Default Re: Green vs Red reticle RDS

Quote Originally Posted by Marius@Jizni View Post
    I can't disagree with you more.

We are talking about the input signal to your learning process. If anything, better input will improve your learning and open up the advantage over time, rather than diminish it.
    Valid point, but how much are we talking here?

The way I see it, it's a dot super imposed over a point. Worry less about the colour of the dot and more about getting the dot where you want / need it to be as efficiently as bio mechanically possible. While yes certain people will prefer certain colour dots for a variety of reasons.

The fact of the matter is if you are presenting your firearm as efficiently as possible it becomes predictable where the dot (or iron sights, as the same applies) would be. Your brain is not processing the colour of the dot as a foreground task, but rather a background process.

So yes, you might gain some by having a dot your eyes pick up easier (but if your eyes can see a green dot, they will see a red dot... in the sense of the vast majority of humans), but more would be gained with many repetitions of various drills that train presentation, and in live fire tracking the dot under recoil.

Just note that red is less visible at night over green. So looking at a red dot through an optic. or onto target it will be a red dot your eye pics up. While the green being picked up more by your eyes. Will make the dot even appear bigger due to your eyes picking up its brightness. Blue is the colour your eyes picks up best at night. Hence the reason police vehicles uses blue. As well as you can see a blue light for km's away. Red lights is used when you want to reduce visibility. Hence the reason you see again military people using it as a source of lighting to be less detectable.

If you do go to a shop to test one. Stick the sight into a dark area and see what happens.

Red differ from green because they have different wavelengths, and different wavelengths behave differently when passing through a prism. Green light refracts more than red, probably explaining why old eyes can still control it better than red light. For some eyes, that might not make any difference, but when I look though a switchable optic with my astigmatic eyes, I see two different things when switching between red and green (neither of which are round dots.) This is also influenced by the technology used (reflex sight / prism sight / hologram). Like me, a lot of my clients have discovered problems with their eyes that we never knew existed before the arrival of optics. So the difference may be a lot more than just a fuzzy feeling.

Our subconscious minds learn by doing something and evaluating the result. If we perceive it as a success, our brains add a layer of myelin around the circuit used to perform the task. Let's take trigger control as an example. If I have a really crappy trigger, I will need to develop a lot more trigger control, and therefore need to travel a longer distance, but I will get there eventually and I will end up a better shooter with more trigger control.

On the other hand, if my process have crappy input or outputs, I will travel the same distance, just slower. If I can't call every shot a success or failure reliably, my brain will wrap myelin around some failures, and skip some successes. Over time, these will add up to better circuits, but I will have to do a lot more repetitions for the same result. (In the trigger control example, a bad input could be sights that are difficult to interpret clear and fast enough, and a bad output could be a gun with a severe accuracy problem.)

There are times that you need to tell a guy that he just needs to practice more (in my line of business I often have to recommend shooting over a rest before changing sight heights), but there are also times to help a guy into a position where he can get the most out of his training sessions.

User

You all miss the fact that all other colours other than red give bright after-images. And as you look through the dot to your target with the centre of your pupil, it can affect your vision quite badly at night.

So, use whatever colour you want in the day, but stick to red when it is dark.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2