User

Default Experiences with LPVO's and offset RDS's setups

Morning guys,

So last night I watched a youtube video on setups for AR15's. One of the guns in the video was set up with both a LPVO and a 45 degree offset red dot. Seems like there are a lot of benefits to this, as you get the best of both worlds: quick target acquisition with the red dot by only slightly tilting the gun while maintaining cheek weld, and the ability to reach out and touch a target at longer distance. Another reason is that the illumination on the LPVO's in my budget range is not really daylight bright. Main disadvantages in my mind is it may be redundant, as the LPVO's of today are really good and have very close to 1x on the lower end, it increases weight and it something else hanging off the side of the gun that can snag, break etc.

So, does anyone run their setup this way, or have in the past, that can share some of their experiences, in the way of current setup, pros and cons? In my limited experience I have never seen anyone run this in person, so it does not seem to be too popular here, and there might be a glaringly obvious reason for it.

I am still new to the SLR scene and currently only run a red dot, but the LPVO bug has bitten and I can't seem to shake it, so starting to think of possible upgrades going forward.

Sent from my SM-A705FN using Tapatalk

User

Default Re: Experiences with LPVO's and offset RDS's setups

Howsit, no experience yet. Waiting in my license however I have bought an Lpvo and offset micro rds. All ready to be setup!

Hope some of the other guys here with experience will let us both know!

Cheers

User

Oh in the optics thread I did ask awhile back some info there for you too

User

Default Experiences with LPVO's and offset RDS's setups

I run a Vortex Razor and a CMORE on my AR15. All for the reasons suggested in the OP.

I run it in IPSC rifle competitions so although the LPVO and red dot has some redundancy. on a stage where you have targets from 5m to 200-300m there’s no need re-adjust the LPVO mid stage. This of course depends on the stage design.

Personally I prefer the red dot the hand guard but that’s all personal preference. Nothing else to say except that you’ll need to try it out and see if it works for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User

I know a few guys that run setups like those in IPSC rifle competitions. Some have mentioned that the COF will determine whether they use the offset RDS at all. If all targets are at shorter distances or there is enough time to change the magnification the offset RDS does not get used and they stick to the primary optic set to 1x or near enough.

I have fiddled with a setup with a variable power optic and RDS offset on a Warne mount. It works well and is easy to learn to use. I do most of my rifle shooting with iron sights though.

User

Thanks guys! @MrK, do you know if guys running the offset RDS predominantly ran with LPVO's with a 1x lower magnification range, or if it was more in the region of 2.5 x as a minimum to say 10 x max? Since you have the red dot for the close and dirty work, is there really n need to have as close to a 1 x on you LPVO as is the case when you have only the scope as your primary optic? And a separate question, are the scopes that are primarily aimed at the SLR market built tougher than say your standard 3-9 hunting scope? How well will will a standard variable scope hold out on a semi auto, or is that something to avoid?

User

Most guys in IPSC use a 1-6 or 1-8. Preference is for true 1x or as close as you can get. The choice of how you are going to use your variable power optic is, to a large extent, determined by the variation in target distance.

If all targets are placed between 80 to 200m it is feasable to crank the optic up to 1.5-2.5 and shoot all targets like that. Likewise if everything is closer than 100m there is no real need to use the offset RDS. If you however have targets from 10 to 250m the RDS will probably see some use unless you have to change position and have enough time to change the magnification on your primary optic while moving. Personal preference also comes into this, so no "rules" as such. Hell, one chap I know runs an RDS and scope mounted side by side as in RDS with one eye and scope with the other eye. He is however the only guy I have seen that does this.

I prefer using only the primary optic if possible.

I think any good quality scope should be durable enough for use on a SLR. There are however scopes aimed at this market segment.

User

Thanks MrK, makes sense! Seems like it might just be better for my application to get a good LPVO and then practice to use the setup efficiently in the scenarios that I will use the gun for.

It may not be in the budget but it is damm hard to beat an ACOG for all round use. The bindon aiming concept really works. The US army really got this choice so right. Yes it works at relatively short range too.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Hondsdol Meerkat View Post
    Thanks MrK, makes sense! Seems like it might just be better for my application to get a good LPVO and then practice to use the setup efficiently in the scenarios that I will use the gun for.

Keep in mind that what I explained is based on sport shooting, specifically IPSC. Your intended usage may very well cause your setup to be entirely different.