Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    Banned

Default Regrets and questions.A young hunter,

My rifle was accused as being inaccurate thisweek end, the young hunter said it was the rifle and not himself. I told Codyto test rifle and he confirmed it was shooting high right.
    REALLY!
    Just then a monkey snuck away from the chicken coop andstopped to look back at about 120 - 130 m, I took rifle from Cody and shot themonkey, nothing wrong with the rifle - I know that, I tested it.

Cody and friend went off to fetch monkey, when they returnedI noticed Cody was not self, and assumed the older boy had said something,pulled age - whatever. I also noticed he put the monkey body on back of bakkiedifferently, he put it down not threw it or dumped it. My mind was elsewhere, Iwas worried about my clients shooting, he was trying for a Kudu bull - should Iallow it or what should I do?

When we afternoon-ed at farm house the client went to spendtime with Mom and tell her about his day, and Cody stood away from me lookingaway at the sea.
    I said" Code's, what’s wrong my boy?" and that wasthe trigger, he came rushing in and crush hugged me and started sobbing. “youdidn't have to kill it Daddy, it did nothing wrong" It appears my casualseeing and shooting of the monkey was just too disrespectful for Cody's senses?
    Saturday I realized just how much value my boy places onthings I say, and just how UNDENIABLY
    RIGHT I always am in hiseyes.

It was hurtful hearing him crap me out, what for? “The farmerdid not ask us too shoot the monkeys, they not a problem here, why you kill it?'
    "You said we do not just kill things without a reason,now look at it, you cannot make that right daddeee! its dead for ever now"

lots of things happened this week end, one being I saw my boybecoming himself, even though he was crying and angry at me while holding me,he was starting to assert his believes.

I know this is not face book, I also know many of us havechildren whom we hope will hunt with us.
    I know we want our children to turn out better than ourselves,that we teach them what we learnt and what we wish we could or should havebeen, done.
    I am just telling ya all, if you get it right be prepared tolive with a child that will hold you to the standards you set for them.

Later on in day we had a safety argument, I had to back down because years ago he was made safety officer and his word was law. Every hunter who hunts with me is told - Cody is safety officer, if a child has to remind you of a safety aspect, shut up and say thank you. Well, I had to do just that!
    My boy is coming into his own, I had best get my act together.

Perhaps some Dads can get something from this post, perhaps it could be remember what you teach, perhaps it would be " be what you say your child should be"
    Just perhaps there is something for you in the above.

User

Default Re: Regrets and questions.A young hunter,

Yes, listen to your kids.

User
    Right next to the pot that needs stirring.

And making a child the SO is a great idea. Especially if there are more than one around. They just love it to catch each other and the adults out.

User

Nothing we shoot needs killing, none of us needs to eat venison we can buy stuff at the store, hunting is much more expensive.
    We kill because life on earth is about killing, nothing more, it's more natural than breathing.

If you disregard the emotional response from the young guy for one second, please remember a coin have two sides, one must be able to see both sides to see the complete picture.

You don't need to take other young folk out hunting either, they can eat store food and would be perfectly healthy.
    Funny how humans can see a their favorite cat play something to death, and that is perfectly fine, but when a human does that it's unnatural.

There are a few more lessons the young guy needs to learn about life and death I think.

Quote Originally Posted by Messor View Post
    Nothing we shoot needs killing, none of us needs to eat venison we can buy stuff at the store, hunting is much more expensive.
    We kill because life on earth is about killing, nothing more, it's more natural than breathing.

If you disregard the emotional response from the young guy for one second, please remember a coin have two sides, one must be able to see both sides to see the complete picture.

You don't need to take other young folk out hunting either, they can eat store food and would be perfectly healthy.
    Funny how humans can see a their favorite cat play something to death, and that is perfectly fine, but when a human does that it's unnatural.

There are a few more lessons the young guy needs to learn about life and death I think.
    True word Messor. Thank you.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Messor View Post

Oh yes Messor, what you say is a given, I know this, but I the total disrespect for life also has a flip side. That flip side is what I want my boy to be.
    We do not have to eat meat at all.
    We can support the torture of animals and eat store bought meat.
    Respecting the outdoors and life on earth is important, I disagree with the cat comparison what a cat does is of no importance to the upbringing of a child, it's a cat.

I have been thinking about this monkey shooting matter myself now for some time, it displeases me every time I do it, perhaps, just perhaps I will not shoot another monkey.

Banned

I see somehow my original post before editing and spell check got pasted instead of the edited version. Wander where in cyberspace my grammatically correct edition would find itself.

User

Quote Originally Posted by treeman View Post
    Oh yes Messor, what you say is a given, I know this, but I the total disrespect for life also has a flip side. That flip side is what I want my boy to be.
    We do not have to eat meat at all.
    We can support the torture of animals and eat store bought meat.
    Respecting the outdoors and life on earth is important, I disagree with the cat comparison what a cat does is of no importance to the upbringing of a child, it's a cat.

I have been thinking about this monkey shooting matter myself now for some time, it displeases me every time I do it, perhaps, just perhaps I will not shoot another monkey.
    The greatest conundrum people are yet to figure out, well most of them.

It does not matter if you believe in a deity or flower power.
    If you believe in flower power that means half the creatures on earth kills the other half, they are designed (read evolved) to do exactly that, and it’s perfect. That means if evolution made you a killer then that is what you are.

If you believe a god made the world then you can throw that argument of “all life is sacred” straight out the window, that means YOUR god made things to kill other things on a whim, and since he made humans killers that is also just what they are.

The only thing both those things require is balance, life, or nature requires balance, you kill or destroy all your food and you destroy yourself. In our case we have too much monkeys in nature since we destroyed all the predators so shooting monkeys by default becomes mandatory, either naturally or spiritually, doesn’t matter, it’s perfectly normal.

Now myself, personally, I very often get confused about human society, I struggle to piece all things together, because the world we live in feels unnatural. Well it is unnatural it sure as hell ain’t part of nature, most people don’t feel or sense it but to me it’s like a splinter in my mind, like the matrix was to poor old Neo. That of course makes this topic also hard to explain.

Do this for me Treeman, next time you are alone in the veld, close your eyes, imagine your place in that environment, your place in nature, are you predator or prey, or both, because I promise you that you are one of those things despite what you believe or want to believe, or whatever nonsense other people preaches. You are there either to kill or be killed, simple as that, you are not there to be left alone, to stand apart from it. Next time someone is attacked by a bear please reason with it, tell it not to be that way, or next time tell that kudu not to run, to stand still so you can end it quickly. No my friend, that is BS, it’s the human world that have been pulled over your eyes to blind you from the truth.

I know for a fact what goes through my head the morning when I wake up in the veld during a hunting trip, other than a hangover perhaps, I smile, because it’s time to take the trail, hunt and kill something, because that is what I am, simple as that.
    People can come with best and fanciest descriptions of human emotions and whatnot. You want to be that type of human, stay in the city and live according to those criteria. You want to venture out into the wild, and want to be a part of that wild, temet nosce.

Banned

Messor - mentioned your exact argument to Cody last night. I think you have a tracker in my hunting bag.You say what I say in a vastly different manner though.
    Yes we are predators, even the bank manager actually, just a different method of getting the meat to his table.
    You know what I do think, when I close my eyes?
    I think, what if this was it, there was nowhere to go, no home anymore no civilization - no shops, this was it and I had to make the best of it, what now, what would my next step be? The steps that would keep me alive.

User

I think this is an excellent, thought-provoking post.

'Sounds like you have done a great job schooling your son. He understands the difference between killing indiscriminately and killing for a reason. Your reason for killing the monkey was to test the firearm's zero but Cody is quite correct:
    1. The farmer did not ask you to shoot monkeys
    2. The testing could have been done on a paper target

Give Cody a pat on the back.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast