Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Importing firearm accessories. Amazing experience!

Just wanted to share my recent experience.

I bought a Sylvan Arms AR 15 folding stock adapter.

Had it delivered to MyUs, which although put it under review, it was a week later released for shipping (not breaching their regulations).

However they shipping it out as HS Code: Schedule B: 9305.20.9000 : Parts and accessories of articles of headings 9301 to 9304

This is a code which requires a import permit.

After reading the forums here, I found out it needed to apply for a permit from ITAC.

I sent an email.
    Within 3 hours, it was forwarded internally requesting another person to deal with the request.
    Later the same day I received the forms required.
    Following morning I sent them back in. By 16.30 the same day I had my permit emailed to me.

From application to permits received, 36 hours.

I did have to send them a copy of my firearm license with the forms. For the record.

I am very impressed with the services received from ITAC. Really, after reading mix responses I thought I would have to wait weeks.

What this means is that it opens up a whole world to buy overseas and courier to SA. Specially if you using your own courier, this seems to be a compliant, risk free, legal way to bring in accessories for you personally owned firearms.

As much as I would rather buy local, not everything is available, such the item in question here.

Sent from my IN2020 using Tapatalk

User

Default Re: Importing firearm accessories. Amazing experience!

I highly doubt this will be a norm with them

User

Glad to hear; I've only had efficiency and joy with ITAC thusfar, having dealt with them on at least 2 different occasions.

User

Thank you for the feedback, that is very interesting and good news!! How much did the ITAR permit cost? Do you have to get a permit for each firearm accessory (if you had to import multiple different things) or does the permit cover a certain numerical dollar threshold (eg 1000$)?

User

ITAC and ITAR are two very different things....

User

Quote Originally Posted by brukutu View Post

Had it delivered to MyUs, which although put it under review, it was a week later released for shipping (not breaching their regulations).

However they shipping it out as HS Code: Schedule B: 9305.20.9000 : Parts and accessories of articles of headings 9301 to 9304

After reading the forums here, I found out it needed to apply for a permit from ITAC.

I sent an email.
    Within 3 hours, it was forwarded internally requesting another person to deal with the request.
    Following morning I sent them back in. By 16.30 the same day I had my permit emailed to me.

I did have to send them a copy of my firearm license with the forms. For the record.

I am very impressed with the services received from ITAC. Really, after reading mix responses I thought I would have to wait weeks.

What this means is that it opens up a whole world to buy overseas and courier to SA. Specially if you using your own courier, this seems to be a compliant, risk free, legal way to bring in accessories for you personally owned firearms.

As much as I would rather buy local, not everything is available, such the item in question here.

Seems you were lucky with MYUS as FA accessories (incl a long list of FA related items) are restricted for export.

https://static.nc-myus.com/images/pu...licy-guide.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by WCC View Post
    Seems you were lucky with MYUS as FA accessories (incl a long list of FA related items) are restricted for export.

https://static.nc-myus.com/images/pu...licy-guide.pdf
    I also thought so.

However I bought a mag loader and some rubber magpull mag assists which were sent the under same hs code before. Ie. Not a once off, this is the 3rd item.
    Note that all have been accessories and not parts.

I am gonna try a magazine next as I am confident I will be able to import it again. Let's see if they ship. Obviously staying within ITAR threshold.

Was just a nightmare first 2 times as it was in one shipment and it arrived I didn't have the permit and lost my parcel.

ITAC is fine, its when customs starts playing around wanting different codes, blood tests, dna, bank statements ect ect

Quote Originally Posted by brukutu View Post

I sent an email.

Don't celebrate too soon... You'll need to appoint a clearance officer to fill in forms on your behalf to classify and "clear" the parcel for customs release once it arrives. This I estimate will cost you at least R1000, depending on quantity / value of items. Whenever I look at nice items available for import a have to remind myself of this painful process, then I happily set aside the notion of importing restricted goods.

Sent from my Redmi 7 using Tapatalk

User

Yeah see my UPS thread...paid customs and duties, then a week later I suddenly need ITAC permit...week later I need different ITAC permit, and don't expect UPS to phone you. The ITAC persons have been fantastic, UPS shyte.

If I could get the stuff locally I would never have bothered, but if you want anything that's not for a Glock locally, then fuck you, buy a Glock.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast