Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Leigh View Post
A couple of things from my side, rifle shooter primarily.

Going underground is expensive and will need concrete. If you going to spend all the money on concrete why not get concrete preforms made and stay above ground, this way you can become modular and add lanes at minimal cost, these can be covered with creepers etc to make the range unobtrusive. Or you can cast your own preforms.

You must have a place where people can sit and eat basic food like sandwich's and burgers and something to drink. This is also very useful revenue and can get the fairer sex their with the kids if there is a modest playground.

You need protection from the elements so outdoor ranges need 100% protection from UV and direct sun. Shade cloth is not the answer.

Most rifle ranges I go to I encounter people developing loads rather than plinking, one should consider these unique requirments. Possibly a small area protected from the wind with a decent powder scale and press or two for seating bullets. Small investement for another return, obviouly there will be an additional charge for this range with attached faciltity. Agree with havinf a chrony available.

If possible segregate lanes for heavy calibre's vs. lighter calibres. These can be allocated on the day depending on the mix of firearms on the range. Saw this on the bridge across Sidney harbour, in the morning there are more lanes open going one way which is reversed for the afternoon traffic.

Must have adjusting seats for the benches.

Have lockable "kit rooms" for various hunting clubs etc. these can be rented on a annual basis for these organistions to store discipline specific kit.

You asked for it.

Underground is expensive, but it is going to happen. I don't want to spoil my view and need the soundproofing. My house will be about 10 meters from the 50 meter mark of the range and I like to sleep late on Sunday mornings.

Has anybody got an idea or example of how loud the sound of a rifle can travel through the ground? I will obviously have to experiment and install additional soundproofing if need be.

The gun shop will be above ground, but the shooting ranges will be partly underground due to the slope of the ground. And yes, I am going to use mostly precast concrete slabs and a lot of plants and groundcovers.

I am planning to provide facilities for the wives and kids. A tea garden and playground is part of my plan. Beverages and light meals will be available. A beer garden and Lapa for members only will be on the far end of the property on the way out. I am not going to apply for a liquor license because I don't want to sell alcohol. It will always be "Bring Dop, Chop and Pop"

The rifle range will have all the bells and whistles. Cameras, monitors and computers with customized software. The idea of this is to see where you shoot without walking forward.

Thank you for the idea of the adjusting seats. Can anyone give me plans or sizes of the shooting benches? I was thinking of building the benches similar to those at Durban Deep.
Chronographs will be installed on the ranges. I would like to have the chronographs permanent in position for every shot, but I need to protect the Chronies with some type of steel plate baffles that can withstand a 30-06 round.
The pistol ranges will be separate and will be similar to the ranges at Hillfox.

A club house with loading facilities, lockable kit rooms should happen in phase 2 of my plan.
This is going to be the ultimate shooting range in the country, but I need the input of shooters of all disciplines.

So please keep on giving suggestions.