Hi Fellow GS members,

Before I take some flack for starting this topic, I can confirm that I have run a number of searches on and have read the various topics discussed concerning (some of which date back to 2010 and which probably don't account for the way in which the CFR is currently considering licence and re-licence applications):--

(a) whether to licence your SD/EDC firearm under s.13 or instead under s.15 (OSS)/s.16 (DSS), especially where the firearm will probably be used for both purposes;
(b) the pro's and con's of both of these options; and
(c) the possible way in which the SAPS and State Prosecutor could/may view things in the event that one ever needed to use a SD/EDC firearm for a lawful self-defence/private-defence shooting.

Background:--
I am in the process of preparing my paperwork for the renewal of my SD/EDC pistol that I also sometimes use for IDPA and Steel Challenge shoots (i.e. dual purpose firearm). At present the firearm is licenced under the s.13 (SD) licence.

What are the views on whether I renew it under a:--
(a) s.13 (SD) licence, which will cover the SD/EDC purpose but only gives me a 5 year term; or
(b) s.16 (DSS) licence, which will cover the sport shooting purposes for which it is occasionally used, and will also give me a longer 10 year term?

I have also prepared a poll so as to see how fellow-GS members have decided to take things forward in this "totally grey area".

Please vote and provide me with your reasoned thinking on why you decided to and/or will go ahead and licence or re-licence under one or the other option.

Many thanks!