User

Default Competancy Renewal

Howzit Guys... im a bit confused about something...

I have my handgun competancy still printed on the white card with an expiry date...

And my Rifle...Shotgun & Hand Carbine... Is On The Printed Page... No Expiry Dates

Do i Need To Renew My Handgun Comp... Because Its Expiring In Approx 120 Days?

User

Default Re: Competancy Renewal

IIRC, your handgun comp expires the same date as your latest (newest) handgun license

User

Be careful here: It still expires, and still needs to be renewed. I ran into the exact same problem, and I'm now applying for a rifle license, only to be told that I need to do a comp renewal (despite having another rifle license). By the way, when I walked into the station with my card asking if it needed renewing, it was the exact same DFO who told me that I didn't need to do it. And of course now it's WELL beyond any 90 day period, and obviously after the comp has 'expired'

These guys are absolute masters at making themselves a LOT more work. Triplication of effort at a minimum.

User

Quote Originally Posted by ARM505 View Post
    Be careful here: It still expires, and still needs to be renewed. I ran into the exact same problem, and I'm now applying for a rifle license, only to be told that I need to do a comp renewal (despite having another rifle license). By the way, when I walked into the station with my card asking if it needed renewing, it was the exact same DFO who told me that I didn't need to do it. And of course now it's WELL beyond any 90 day period, and obviously after the comp has 'expired'

These guys are absolute masters at making themselves a LOT more work. Triplication of effort at a minimum.
    Exactly this.
    Two or so years ago or whenever, when the whole "your competency expires with your last licence" thing came out, it sounded fine. Now we start hearing about renewals....
    Question is, when do I renew it?
    I got it with my first licences in July 2014.
    I got more licences last year.
    Does it expire in 2025, or in 2024? Or how does it work?

User

I have just successfully renewed my S13 hand gun license.
    I have an old white card competency with an expiry date 2013.
    I have a S16 hand gun license expiring 2022.
    DFO confirmed that because of S16 , my competency was valid until last license date 2022.
    Submitted : 04/01/2016
    Approved : 29/01/2016

User

I have a white competency card which expired in March 2015. On there I have my handgun, shotgun and rifle competency. I have a separate competency for HMC.

I handed in my renewal for my S13 on Wednesday and my DFO said she sees my competency has expired. I told her I have a section 16 handgun of which the license only expires in 2023. She then said if that one expires I will have to renew my handgun competency only then.

To my knowledge should I buy another handgun again, my handgun competency will be extended to the new firearm license expiry.

This just leads me to believe that the CFR wants me to buy more firearms.

User

To add to the confusion:
    I assisted someone at work with a sec13 license renewal.
    She only has 1 handgun licensed.
    She has a competency card with no expiry date printed o the card.
    So off she goes with the forms for both competency and license renewal and money (R70 + R140)
    When she comes back she told me she only paid the R140 and the DFO told her there is no reason to renew the competency.
    But I though it expires with the license?