Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: 6 June 1944

User

Default Re: 6 June 1944

Go watch the video clip of Band of Brothers on youtube.

Look for the one of where they para'd into Normandy.

Put your headphones on and turn up the volume.

They did a good job of recreating what it was like from guys
    who were in those planes.

User

Haha! I guess if you survived D-Day then all the f@cks you ever had to give were left on the beaches that day.

http://www.itv.com/news/update/2014-...g-home-escape/

Missing D-Day veteran pulls off escape to Normandy

Last updated Fri 6 Jun 2014

A pensioner who went missing from a nursing home in East Sussex has been found safe and well - commemorating the D-Day landings in Normandy.

Police said staff at the Hove nursing home called them yesterday evening when the WWII veteran did not return after going for a walk.

Video: 'Great escapee' Bernard Jordan vows: I'll do it again next year
    Left: Bernard Jordan pictured at his care home in Hove. Right: Bernard Jordan 70 years ago.

It was not until a younger veteran called to say he met the pensioner on a coach to France and that he was safe at a hotel in Ouistreham.

It turned out the 89-year-old man had left the facility wearing a grey mack concealing a jacket underneath with his war medals attached.

Sussex Police said they have spoken to him and "are satisfied that the pensioner is fine", adding: "Once the pensioner is home we will go and have a chat with him to check he is ok."

Chief Superintendent Nev Kemp, Police Commander for the City of Brighton & Hove, also tweeted: "Love this:89yr old veteran reported missing by care home who said he can't go to Normandy for #DDay70 remembrance. We've found him there!"

Sussex Police said they would not be naming the man or the nursing home.
    [b]Be ready for anything, and if his head is not at least two meters away from the body, do not 'assume' he is dead and out of the fight.[/b] [I]- Ikor[/I]

Big ups to Helen Patton, great way to honour her grandfather!!!

http://www.demotix.com/news/4937219/...ille/all-media

User

User

What pisses me off the most last night the best......no mention of D-Day but reruns of Pawn Stars

User

Quote Originally Posted by Kreefstert View Post
    What pisses me off the most last night the best......no mention of D-Day but reruns of Pawn Stars
    +10000
    Was also looking and searching for something about D-Day, but buggerall! Just the usual re-runs and bits&shits!
    Very unimpressed. Especially seeing that it is 70 years and chances are that not that many of the Heroes that fought in the war is still allive. We are fast losing that generation.

This truly Touched me...

Quote: As we left the cemetery, I could see our tour guide, Danielle, was a little emotional. I said, “I know, so many men died….”
    She looked up at me and said,
    “Yes, John, but you see, they are STILL dying. 555 die every day. And when the last one dies, we will begin to forget. That is what happens, you see… do you remember World War I, do you feel the emotional connection to that war? This connection we have to WWII, the reason we still care so much, is because people like your grandfather are still with us.
    The 70th Anniversary is coming soon. But how many of these heroes will be with us on the 80th? We must always remember what happened here. These men are our liberators. They saved the world. We must tell their story or it will fade from our minds and exist only in the history books. You will tell this story, yes?”
    “Yes.”

Not much, possibly more Russian. Ever heard of Operation Bagration, from the German perspective it was simply called the collapse of Army Group Centre. It was the End of the German military machine, thereafter the Eastern front could only be stabilised in small segments. In comparison D Day was small fries.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3