Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 4 12 13 14 15 LastLast

Default Re: The second Great 1880 era Black powder hunt expedition at Weltevreden 2016

And I need to thank Ds J for this wonderful gift.

Got home on Friday and my wife told me that Jaap had left this knife for me, I was the proud owner. It is with great appreciation and affection that I receive this wonderful gift.

Thanks Jaap, tis truly a wonderful and unexpected gift.
    One too many wasted sunsets and one too many for the road .........

Banned

Default Re: The second Great 1880 era Black powder hunt expedition at Weltevreden 2016

My pleasure! Thanks for solving one half of the world's problems with me.

User

Excellent Jaap... Thank you again for your input regarding the forging work done on the hunt...it really gives a nice view into the happenings around such a type of hunt...Andrew, congratulations, Jaap said he will forge another knife next year that will go to the 1880 Black powder camp box....This one is yours as a gift...

Banned

My mind is confused (nothing new) but was the final tally on game collected 2 warthogs and 2 impalas or 3 impalas?

Also, was the game plentiful or scarce?

I am really disappointed that there are not 8 or 10 more pages to this excellent tome but that is my problem. Thank you all so much for sharing this adventure with the rest of us.

User

Final tally on game shot:

Three Impala rams and two warthogs...we did not slaughter the two chickens since there were to much meat to consume ....
    The four large white bread did not count as game...but is was delicious.... One jackal got away...I promise to add the ten extra pages next year.. Do not despair, fellow members, hunters who participated still need to upload their photos as well..so it may very well be that there will be a few extra pages added...
    Last edited by Gert Odendaal; 14-05-2016 at 22:15.

User

A few more good photos:
    Something not seen everyday:
    A Boer and an British citizen having tea and some snacks while discussing who won the Anglo Boer war....

Even on a hunting trip hygiene is an important aspect, especially if you want to keep your hunting friends in a good mood...

Erik show us how to carry a big heavy impala to the camp:

http://i594.photobucket.com/albums/t...4457bb56e0.jpg
    Pietie shows which biltong should be looked after when doing guard duty since the leopard and hyena are making rounds at the camp:
    Preparing to defend what is ours..

An extra guard from a higher perspective and vantage point on guard:

Last farewell:
    Last edited by Gert Odendaal; 14-05-2016 at 23:07.

Quote Originally Posted by Patocazador View Post
    My mind is confused (nothing new) but was the final tally on game collected 2 warthogs and 2 impalas or 3 impalas?

Also, was the game plentiful or scarce?

I am really disappointed that there are not 8 or 10 more pages to this excellent tome but that is my problem. Thank you all so much for sharing this adventure with the rest of us.
    Game was plentiful, but difficult to stalk, since antique rifles with open sights require us to get real close. I regard 50 metres the maximum range for an offhand shot, and 80 metres the maximum if you have a steady rest. For the smoothbore flintlocks, those ranges would be 30 and 50 metres respectively.

Our hunt was the first of the season on Weltevreden, to give the antique rifle hunters a better chance. (I have heard that the same is done in the US state hunting areas.)

Also bear in mind that the pioneers could take chances, firing away at distant game, as a wounded animal would only mean the loss of a charge of powder and one bullet. In our case, wounded and lost animals have to be paid for in full. That rule made us a lot more careful about which shots to take.

That hilux in photo 6 of post #124 looks a bit modern for the setting ☺

Looks like a nice outing.

Sent from my SM-G900H using Tapatalk

User

The Hilux was parked outside the 1880 Era Black powder border, we were allowed to venture outside the 1880 era border to use our cellphones late evenings to phone back home... to tell all back home we are managing the 1880 era quite well...

Quote Originally Posted by gbvl View Post
    That hilux in photo 6 of post #124 looks a bit modern for the setting ☺

Looks like a nice outing.

Sent from my SM-G900H using Tapatalk
    The time machine had to have a few holes to enable Gert to take photos, otherwise how would we share the experience with you Gunsiters.

The Hilux must have slipped through one of those holes!

Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 4 12 13 14 15 LastLast