Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3 11 12 13

@ andret

Done

I managed to chrony some loads with these bullets over the weekend. I loaded a few suggested charges of AA#5 from the Speer reloading manual as it bears the closest resemblance to S221. I also loaded MP200 with data from the Somchem book. I fired approximately 40 rounds over the Chrony and wrote the results down accordingly.

The S221 charge that I would like to run a reliablity test with gave me an average of 1030fps from my G19 with about a 20fps deviation. It was stiff but not uncontrollable and no signs of excess pressure were observed. This velocity is slighty more than the 980-1000fps I was aiming for, but I feel it will do the job adequately. 10 rounds were fired with this load. No stoppages. OAL 28.7mm. Fiocchi primers. New Remington cases.

I was a little more conservative in my top-end MP200 charge and achieved a velocity of 930fps on average (with a 15fps deviation). No signs of pressure. I will up the charge very slightly for my next session. 10 rounds were fired with this charge. No stoppages. OAL 28.7mm. Fiocchi primers. New Remington cases.

Based on this, I'll do a few tweaks and adjustments and come up with a load that I'll test about 100 of to ensure reliable feeding, accuracy and overall shootability.

Although I have Pro1000's, I loaded these on a single stage Lee Challenger for the sake of quality control.

And now the serious stuff...

It's up to every individual reloader to use THEIR press, THEIR scale and THEIR experience. I dislike posting load data because of this. My advice is to buy a box of 147gr CMJ's and experiment with those first before getting into your expensive stuff. There will be variances, but they can be tweaked without depleting your stock of the good-stuff too much. And for the love of all things holy: TEST THEM IN YOUR FIREARM PROPERLY BEFORE YOU CARRY THEM, NOT 5 ROUNDS, AT LEAST 50 ROUNDS (and even that's not enough!).

My vote goes to S221.
    Last edited by Thorkind; 31-05-2010 at 16:28.
    Because a thing seems difficult to you, do not think it impossible for anyone to accomplish - Marcus Aurelius

User

Quote Originally Posted by Thorkind View Post
    I managed to chrony some loads with these bullets over the weekend. I loaded a few suggested charges of AA#5 from the Speer reloading manual as it bears the closest resemblance to S221. I also loaded MP200 with data from the Somchem book. I fired approximately 40 rounds over the Chrony and wrote the results down accordingly.

The S221 charge that I would like to run a reliablity test with gave me an average of 1030fps from my G19 with about a 20fps deviation. It was stiff but not uncontrollable and no signs of excess pressure were observed. This velocity is slighty more than the 980-1000fps I was aiming for, but I feel it will do the job adequately. 10 rounds were fired with this load. No stoppages. OAL 28.7mm. Fiocchi primers. New Remington cases.

I was a little more conservative in my top-end MP200 charge and achieved a velocity of 930fps on average (with a 15fps deviation). No signs of pressure. I will up the charge very slightly for my next session. 10 rounds were fired with this charge. No stoppages. OAL 28.7mm. Fiocchi primers. New Remington cases.

Based on this, I'll do a few tweaks and adjustments and come up with a load that I'll test about 100 of to ensure reliable feeding, accuracy and overall shootability.

Although I have Pro1000's, I loaded these on a single stage Lee Challenger for the sake of quality control.

And now the serious stuff...

It's up to every individual reloader to use THEIR press, THEIR scale and THEIR experience. I dislike posting load data because of this. My advice is to buy a box of 147gr CMJ's and experiment with those first before getting into your expensive stuff. There will be variances, but they can be tweaked without depleting your stock of the good-stuff too much. And for the love of all things holy: TEST THEM IN YOUR FIREARM PROPERLY BEFORE YOU CARRY THEM, NOT 5 ROUNDS, AT LEAST 50 ROUNDS (and even that's not enough!).

My vote goes to S221.
    Thanks Gordon. I was looking for a load emulating your S221 @ 1030fps. Obviously caution will be used, but I appreciate the post.

User

Has anyone ever used nail varnish to seal to primers on hand loaded carry ammo?
    I was thinking that may be a good idea (provided it works) to ensure the ammo lasts.

User

Default Re: Speer Gold Dot 9mm 147Grain Bullets

Any updates on the Gold Dots? :)

User

147gr Golden Sabres x 300 for me please

User

Quote Originally Posted by Gidsie View Post
    Gidsie
    I'm going to import the Sabers, so I'll add you to the Saber thread.

User

Eish... Sorry wrong thread... I need to drink some coffee!!

User

Eish... Sorry wrong thread... I need to drink some coffee!!
    Lol! No worries.

Quote Originally Posted by shooter View Post
    Any updates on the Gold Dots? :)
    Nothing as yet.

Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3 11 12 13