Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Feral Pigs

Default Re: Feral Pigs

Great story treeman. The boy understands. I hope others do too.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit: occidentis telum est.

Seneca (4 BC - 65 AD)

User

Thanks for the vid...

I too hunt/ cull feral pigs and warthogs.. There is this guy I follow on Instagram.. Lone Star Boars from the states..

Give them a follow and see how he decimates a herd in quick succession with pin point accuracy with night vision optics.. The feral pigs are out of control in the states (specifically Texas, I believe)

I recon its a hog hunters dream to cull them like they do..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Banned

Some how for some reason I do not enjoy hunt vids, its so like reveling in the death of some thing. I hunt I kill, but it just seems it should be a quiet private respectable thing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Quintin View Post
    Thanks for the vid...

I too hunt/ cull feral pigs and warthogs.. There is this guy I follow on Instagram.. Lone Star Boars from the states..

Give them a follow and see how he decimates a herd in quick succession with pin point accuracy with night vision optics.. The feral pigs are out of control in the states (specifically Texas, I believe)

I recon its a hog hunters dream to cull them like they do..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not every second guy is a Franz-Albrecht.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

User

Slightly off topic. But what scope is that?

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

User

Wow.. This post went a completely different way to what I intended. Never expected it to start a whole ethics debate, but there we go.. I will briefly try explain what the other varmitters/hunters was attempting (very well) to do.. Not hoping for a better result but I'll add my bit...

Feral Pigs - The problem and need for controlling their numbers

Many people will think shooting these pigs is only for fun or a hobby. However, they pose a real thread to some of the native wildlife. Specifically ground nesting birds and the critically endangered geometric tortoise only found here in the Boland. These pigs eat the eggs and small tortoises, trash they habitat to the extent that it has led a number of nationally funded projects to get rid of them. So, they don't only have an impact of the farmers wallet, but is a real environmental issue. Even more so then any other pest animal... You don't even need any license or permit to hunt these durning the night or day. Only the land owners permission... So, that's what we are dealing with - they need to be controlled or eradicated.

Experience on topic

Experience in any topic of discussion I believe is extremely imported before you're opinion can hold any weight. I'll divert a bit to give you an example that might make it more clear.

I'm in the great life stage of having small kids - daughter 2 and boy 4. Entering this life stage, you'll notice allot of people start giving you parental advice and that people have VERY strong opinions of how kids should behave, how they should sleep, what they should eat, etc etc.

Now, allot of that advice and opinions is good and you take it onboard. Me and my wife have however developed a filter for all the buzz.. And that is that we only really take advice from people and parents in a similar life stage as us... Raising small kids and juggling high pressure jobs right now.. Until you're in that position, you think you know but you really don't know. It's not a situation strictly under your control.

Me too, before I had kids had opinions on all of this. But I soon realised everything changes when you're in the position. You somethings laugh at all your idealistic thoughts you had before hand and realise how ignorant you were.

Now, belief it or not, it's similar when entering the hunting/varminting arena. Before I hunted much I also thought I was a great shot and my kills will all be clean and painless. I thought "how difficult can it be - aim and fire". How wrong I was..

Varminting is really about the numbers. You want to take out as many as you can... That is the main goal.. If you can do it cleanly and effectively, so much better. But yes, you do sometimes shoot at running targets - not something you'll do when hunting game animals, where the number isn't the primary goal. We 100% respect life but the primary goal remains.

So respectfully, I'll only add weight to the opinions of people who has experience in this topic. If an experienced hunter advices or reprimands me, I'll take it onboard - I have people I always ask advice from. Everyone's entitled to their opinion, but until you've been in a situation, you think you know but you really don't know - sorry.

Back to the video

I wouldn't have posted the video if I only wounded the animals.. They were found and the farm workers was very happy about it. Good meat for them - I eat the pigs as well.
    It was a poor shot and thinking about it afterwards I realised my mistake. I was more focused on the reticles/dot then on the target. One of the most basic mistakes. I expected the gun to do all the work... I wasn't aiming small. Stupid...

Luckily, I've place much better shots in the past and this mistake will replay for me next time I take aim. This is how experience is built up and one gets better and better with time. There is no short cuts.

Anyway, I'm waffling on now.. I don't expect to change opinions, only to add what I belief.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Roguemeister View Post
    Slightly off topic. But what scope is that?
    Hi, I was using a Nitesite NS200 with an additional T50 IR. I added the video recording module to my nitesite.

User

Quote Originally Posted by jdvisagie View Post
    Hi, I was using a Nitesite NS200 with an additional T50 IR. I added the video recording module to my nitesite.
    Sweet thanks! Looks great

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

Ethics: evaluations of what's right, what's wrong and what's in between. Pragmatics: evaluations of what's right, what's wrong and what's in between in terms of their practical application. Gut-shooting a sow thereby preventing the birth of 60 or more feral piglets over the next year: ethical or pragmatic? Passing up a chancy shot at a feral boar that will breed vigorously and plow up a substantial area of renosterveld over the next year: ethical or pragmatic? Taking as many shots as possible, regardless of wounded animals, in order to discourage a landowner from indiscriminate poisoning: ethical or pragmatic? I moved to South Africa eight years ago from the edge of the Texas Hill Country, the epicenter of the feral pig plague. Believe me when I say that a feral pig population of any size is a severe threat to wildlife, indigenous plants and agriculture. The best outcome would be a concerted effort by the SA hunting community to wipe out feral pigs professionally and humanely. In the real world hunters do the best they can given imperfect skills and scarce time in the field. Just do the best you can and don't mourn creatures that don't merit it.

Based on the principle of overbreeding and environmental damage.... the human race....

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit: occidentis telum est.

Seneca (4 BC - 65 AD)

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast