Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    User

Default Re: Assistance with pc problem please

Just an FYI to all. Opera browser has a built in VPN that is allowed for US netflix and it is free.

Quote Originally Posted by Toxxyc View Post
    Stop using Edge, for one. Use Chrome straight.

VPN will also make your machine run slower, and could also be the reason for all the verifications. I'm not sure why you'd want to use a VPN at all, unless you're doing something like accessing a US Netflix account or something...dodgy?

VPN comes as part of the Bitdefender Total Security download and has it's own icon next to Bitdefender's icon however as far as I can see it is not on and not being used be myself hence should I just leave it off or should I uninstall it?

I am almost sure that Bitdefender has something to do with it.

User

Remove BitDefender. Does your PC have Windows Defender installed? I used to be paid AVG guy for years until Windows Defender came along. For a free AV, it's great.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Ricochet View Post
    Whenever I search for something in my browser I get a irritating message asking me to captcha and whether I am a robot or human whereby I have to select images that are the same or eliminate them until they are gone and then I apparently am not a robot.
    I am so sick of buses and sidewalks and traffic lights being matched I can sh#t my pants.
    This sounds like the CAPTCHA Google gives you when they detect "suspicious" activity from your internet connection. If you're using a VPN or proxy service, your traffic would be routed via a single IP together with lots of other people, which to Google appears as one person doing a suspiciously large number of searches. Another, less common, possibility is that you've been infected with some sort of malware that is performing automated Google searches for its own purpose.

I never had this but recently I installed Bitdefender total security and sometimes I change the search engine to Google.co.za or Google.com from Bing.
    If you suspect this is the cause, it shouldn't hurt to test your theory by uninstalling it. You can always reinstall it again afterwards.

I have a new PC that is also significantly slower than 6 months ago when I purchased it.
    It could be that a lot of junk software has been installed and is running in the background, it could be malware (Less unlikely, as modern malware tries to be low-impact to avoid detection and removal unless it's something like a cryptocurrency mining virus), or it could even have a physical cause - if your PC has gathered a lot of dust inside, it may be blocking airflow and prevent cooling, causing your PC to throttle its speed to reduce heat output.

Which search engine should I be using as I have the Google Chrome icon on my desktop but every time in the right hand corner I get a pop up message asking me to upgrade from Google to Google Chrom but I have Google Chrome as far as I am concerned.

What is the best Browser and best Search engine?

How do I get rid of this message please?
    Chrome and Firefox are the current leaders in one way or another, so either option should suit you fine. Your choice of search engine also won't make a difference to you, other than the quality of the results returned. The pop-up message almost sounds like some other software running on your PC. Perhaps try to take a photo of it next time it appears.

Quote Originally Posted by AshleyR View Post
    This sounds like the CAPTCHA Google gives you when they detect "suspicious" activity from your internet connection. If you're using a VPN or proxy service, your traffic would be routed via a single IP together with lots of other people, which to Google appears as one person doing a suspiciously large number of searches. Another, less common, possibility is that you've been infected with some sort of malware that is performing automated Google searches for its own purpose.

If you suspect this is the cause, it shouldn't hurt to test your theory by uninstalling it. You can always reinstall it again afterwards.

It could be that a lot of junk software has been installed and is running in the background, it could be malware (Less unlikely, as modern malware tries to be low-impact to avoid detection and removal unless it's something like a cryptocurrency mining virus), or it could even have a physical cause - if your PC has gathered a lot of dust inside, it may be blocking airflow and prevent cooling, causing your PC to throttle its speed to reduce heat output.

Chrome and Firefox are the current leaders in one way or another, so either option should suit you fine. Your choice of search engine also won't make a difference to you, other than the quality of the results returned. The pop-up message almost sounds like some other software running on your PC. Perhaps try to take a photo of it next time it appears.
    Ashley,thanks for the feedback, I think you are 100% correct with the Captcha so what must my Proxy settings be set too?
    I have switched the VPN off of Bitdefender or should I uninstall it completely or keep it as part of total security dashboard but keep it switched off?

Is my network at home which is only my own home pc on Telkom LTE a private or public network as I could have possibly screwed this setting up my mistake but I don't think so?

Another big issue is that my router which is a Huawei B315LTE CPE has an icon which I use to turn the WIFI on and off on the connect or disconnect button however if I try to go to the menu like I use to it just does not pick it up anymore although my WIFI internet is still on I cannot turn it off or
    on or
    access it anymore.

Can you shed some light here too please.
    Thanks

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2