Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    User

Default Saiga 12... A Build Story: From Commie Shovel to IPSC Beast

Thought I would document the build up of my Saiga 12.

I picked it up last year for a steal during lockdown, and set upon my scheme to build an IPSC Beast.
    Now we know of the Dissident Arms Vepr 12, and the Saiga 340 which are built for IPSC. I looked at these 2 options and decided my wife would divorce me if I spent more on a Shotgun than what I did her first car, and what the 340 offered to me was attainable at a lower cost...

I have assembled a few AR15, some Glocks, Built a 1911 or 2, and shot AK's...

I can say by far the hardest "build" to date was this gun. It seems to me that the available information, as well as the fact tat dimensions seem to be a suggestion more than something to follow made everything extremely tedious to work on, measure 3 times, check specs, measure again and usually file, grind and cut to fit.

Now that it is done, would I do it again? Probably I would just use a different trigger as this one doesn't allow for use of the manual bolt hold open, and if I had gone for a ALG I would not have this problem.

Things I've taken away from this build, and what information is available on the internet.

- On a Saiga 12 the safety doesn't just rotate up and out like a regular AK. It is cut lower so as to limit upward travel due to the larger cut out on the dustcover.

- I have no clue how the Russians would install the Manual BHO using the original Shepherds Crook Pin retainers (this is also different to a regular AK, in the it loops around the trigger pin and doesn't just slip over it), you kinda need 3 teeny tiny hands to do it, and I was stumped at how to retain it all.

Parts used in this build:

Russian Molot GK-02 Brake
    Russian Molot Choke
    Ultimak Picatinny Rail
    Modified AR15 Tubular Handguard with Custom designed and Machined Mount
    Russian Extended Magazine Release
    Armacon "Knuckle" Safety
    Tango Down Grip
    Armacon M4 Stock Adaptor
    Mil Spec Buffer Tube
    Magpul Moe Stock
    Magpul Stock Riser
    LAC SS Left Side Charging Handle (with associated Bolt Machining)
    Red Star Arms Adjustable Trigger
    SGM Tactical Vepr 12 Magazines

How it looked when it came home:

During:

The Final Product:

User

Default Re: Saiga 12... A Build Story: From Commie Shovel to IPSC Beast

Noice! How does it run?

User

Very nice Stevin!

User

And when you added all the parts, was it still a little bit cheaper than your wife's first car? Looking nice.

User

Quote Originally Posted by MrK View Post
    Noice! How does it run?
    I will find out on friday, going to zero it and run it in a club match over the weekend. I have every confidence that it will run like a scolded monkey.

Quote Originally Posted by pblaauw View Post
    Very nice Stevin!
    Thanks dude, come shoot it sometime.

Quote Originally Posted by Vaal View Post
    And when you added all the parts, was it still a little bit cheaper than your wife's first car? Looking nice.
    It was actually a fair amount cheaper than that! Worked out cheaper than buying a similarly specced Saiga 340 by a fair margin. Granted that it might be a bit harder now as the Russian's currently aren't shipping to South Africa. Half the battle was finding someone from Russia who would ship, and second half was making sure he wasn't a scammer.

User

That looks brilliant I also purchased 1 last year at a steal from Dave sheer but I’ve been looking everywhere for a brake like this could you by any chance send me some details on how to get it

User

This is on my bucket list!! However I have heard that they dont run so lekker out the box, any comment?

Could pick one up a year ago for 12K (Saiga12) But I blame the price of ammo for me not pulling the trigger

User

Quote Originally Posted by Ahmedoo View Post
    That looks brilliant I also purchased 1 last year at a steal from Dave sheer but I’ve been looking everywhere for a brake like this could you by any chance send me some details on how to get it
    Maybe try sending 4shooter.com a message, and see if they can arrange from the USA. At the moment from Russia is literally impossible as their postal service won't even accept any parcels destined for Africa, let alone South Africa.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven001 View Post
    This is on my bucket list!! However I have heard that they dont run so lekker out the box, any comment?

Could pick one up a year ago for 12K (Saiga12) But I blame the price of ammo for me not pulling the trigger
    So a friend picked up one at the same time as me, and we ran his gun out the box for about 200 rounds of various 28gram 7.5 birdshot at matches, and it ran great.

Gas plug has 2 settings one for high brass and one for low, also the new magwell guns use vepr magazine geometry which present the shell at a different angle which improves feeding.

Lastly I went the entire hog, and even profiled the bottom of my bolt and smoothed it out (plenty writeups online, and something Dissident does to their Veprs too), so I will find out this weekend when I take mine out and run it a bit, but I do not for see any issues and expect it to run well.

User

This would be a proper sidearm for Southern African Institute for Govenment Auditors (SAIGA). Nice build!

User

Lovely -- thanks for sharing bud (and congrats).

Please do let us know how she runs during Sat's match.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast