Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Problem Baboons

No.
    Last edited by KK20; 15-09-2021 at 14:15.

User

Default Re: Problem Baboons

No poison ever.

my heart at the sea and my soul in the mountains

dammitgriff
    live out your imagination , not your history.

User
    Right next to the pot that needs stirring.

I hope you have better success than what we have in the Waterberg of Limpopo. Most of us have tried and are still trying to control baboon numbers by hunting our whole lives. And our fathers and grandfathers....

Baboon numbers cannot be controlled by hunting. Period. They are just too clever and have excellent eyesight. They also seldom stand still. If they have a hint of being watched they keep moving, and believe me, they make for really difficult targets for humane clean killing shots.

Electric fencing in very good working condition and constantly checked and their newest plans closed is the only way to keep them out of lands and orchards. Myself have spent about R 300 k over the last 3 years on fencing. No other way to control them.

Banned

Getting over fences. Saw baboons going over an electrified fence by using a power pole that was 5m from the fence. They come in like a high jumper and then propel them at an angle and over the fence. Coming back they take a flying leap to again hit the pole. Clever animals.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by driepootx View Post
    Getting over fences. Saw baboons going over an electrified fence by using a power pole that was 5m from the fence. They come in like a high jumper and then propel them at an angle and over the fence. Coming back they take a flying leap to again hit the pole. Clever animals.
    Yes they get over, you clear a road either side of fence, then they just take longer to get over.
    Over a entire farms fencing line they found that you can use the gate post as a launch over fence, they then learnt to use the flag pole to as you said flying leap off and back over fence.

User

We had a biggish male baboon baboon come through our suburban Sandton property a couple of years back. Neighbors who were in the the street at the time said it loped towards our 2.4m high wall which is topped with 600mm of electrified fence and jumped at a tree on the pavement. Grabbed a branch and swung himself over. They reckoned it was smooth and effortless.

I've never hunted Baboons myself as they seem to stay way clear of the farm whenever I'm there and the odd times I've seen them they start running at the first sight.

The advise I got for keeping baboons away was to shoot either a youngster or a young female of the group as this seems to upset the troop as n whole a lot more then simply shooting the Alpha or the look out (brandwag). The look out is usually replaced quite quickly and they return in a couple of weeks the same if the Alpha is shot.

Just remember that it can happen that you shoot a female and when you go and recover the baboon there is a baby hanging on for dear life.

User

Quote Originally Posted by s3renity View Post
    Somewhat excited, will be my first baboon hunt :) strangely more excited than my first koedoe hunt lol.
    Just be aware that the biltong will probably not come out the same.

User

Quote Originally Posted by MSW2 View Post
    Just be aware that the biltong will probably not come out the same.
    sies

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast