Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: Howa 1500 Walnut Stock.

Quote Originally Posted by AJR View Post
    That does not help me. Now I'm still wondering. Sug.
    Jammer man.

User

I also have the hogue full bed. I cannot say I noticed it to be of a significant improvement beyond a 'floppy'. Coupled with the 50 shot grouping theory, the 'improvement' is, well, debatable.

The floppy factor only have an influence if the stock touches the barrel when you shoot. In my experience the floppy stocks shoot really well if you lift the barrel action a little in the stock. We had 2 floppy stocked 6.5 Creedmoors on the reserve, both shot ¼-½ moa groups. One still does.
    Also, I have seen no other stock that tames recoil like a Hogue despite their light weight. There is a reason why Ruger fits them to their .375 and .416 Alaskan rifles.

User

I like the hogue's look & feel, and that it does not warp, but with my eyes, a custom flinch and chronic bokkoors, its almost time to admit its not the stock.

Almost.

User

A lot of people just focus on the pillar bedding and neglect the recoil lug recess. This has to be square to the barrel axis and have greater than 90% contact with the recoil lug.

Bolts don't work well as recoil transfer devices. Recoil lugs are very poor at keeping an action in the stock. The two complements each other.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2