Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Behind you, breaking out the KY... Or JHB

Default Re: Different hunting rifle categories

Quote Originally Posted by makeminea10mm
    Oh look.. Now I'm a Jnr member.. How did that happen..
    Quote Originally Posted by Corné
    It is based on your amount of posts.
    Not quite, but in part also on your willingness (bravery) to fire Winchester Silvertips in a G29... happy0065
    Prone to random kindness, lecherous behaviour, imitating D-cups at speed and an outstanding sense of humour. If you don't agree, well fuck you.

hpy180

User

It all comes down to proving the need and proper motivating to prove the need.

With ballistics iro different weight bullets and different scopes with different applications I will make a very good case for owning a 30-06 and a 308.

User

Is there any way that you can send me a example of a motivational letter for a self defence handgun and for a 30.06 hunting rifle that i can take to a farmer to sign.
    thanks
    lv29

Quote Originally Posted by makeminea10mm
    OK, who can help me with this question. I started hunting last year, was about to purchase a .338 or .330 now in Jan, but those calibres aren't available for a few more months. What categories do CFR accept for the different hunting types?

Long range
    Medium range

Big game
    Medium game
    Small game

Bushveld
    Plains

etc
    etc

So, the question is, as a dedicated hunter, how many hunting rifles can one really own?

My original thinking was that I'll go for a bigger calibre like 338 and then a smaller calibre like 243 for small game, instead of the all-purpsoe calibres such as .308 and -06 which CFR can turn around and say is good for everything...

What does the calibre 'matrix' really look like?
    No limit,just be able to justify their use. I have 2 pistols( one on SD licence), 5 shotguns a .22 ,30-06,.458 and .416. My last licence ,received in December took 2 months. All on "dedicated Hunter" Do you paper work correctly and you shouldn't have any problems.
    "Guns are just tools, the way they're used reflects the society they're apart of, if you don't like guns, blame it on society" ~Chris Kyle

User

If you can convince them that the two rounds' balistics are different enough they cannot really deny you even if both are the same caliber. All-rounders like the 30-06 and 308 can shoot a variety of bullets (110gr - 220gr) but they will not neccesarily stabilise in your rifle (twist rate). So you can use your 30-06 with a faster twist rate to shoot 180-220gr bullets and your 308 with a slower twist rate to shoot 110-165gr bullets. One for hunting Kudu in the bushveld, one for hunting springbuck in the Freestate.

Even if your rifles in different calibers"overlap" each other in bullet weight the same applies. There should be a justifiable reason for owning each one.
    A .243, 30-06 and .416 should no be to hard to motivate, each one fills a certain niche and they dont realy overlap.

You might get a bit of lip if you apply for a.308, 30-06 and a .300 win mag though ;D

User

makeminea10mm.

WRT your questions,
    used the plains versus bushveld and lots of ballistic reports and technical data.

Please don't get me wrong, I'm not advertising Legally Armed , the Guys did a swell job, they also undertake to do your Appeal verniet and gratis should your app be unsuccessfull.

WRT costs, it depends on how much work was involved, between 350 and 500 per app I think.

I waited 4 months, that was including the Lady who forgot about my apps on her table for 3 weeks ( She is one of The Local DPO Guys, However the rest of the office is Jacked UP,) Guess I was fortunate.

Quote Originally Posted by Longshot
    All-rounders like the 30-06 and 308 can shoot a variety of bullets (110gr - 220gr) but they will not neccesarily stabilise in your rifle (twist rate). So you can use your 30-06 with a faster twist rate to shoot 180-220gr bullets and your 308 with a slower twist rate to shoot 110-165gr bullets.
    This is a good point Longshot and very valid, something which should be considered when buying a multipurpose calibre.

I know this was an issue in the US Military when they increased the bullet weight in the 5.56 and then had to increase the twist rate and rebarrel their M16/M4's to accomodate this, or was it the other way round? confused0083 and sorry hjk
    "You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life."
    -Winston Churchill

GunSite South Africa
    Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2