Default Police and the FCA

Guys, Is there anyone who knows if the police get a 'get out of jail free card' iro the the FCA, competency and CFR licencing requirements?

basically I'm looking for a clear double standard?

Ta.

P.S. I tried to post this over at the GUN LAWYERS Board but seems like I'm not packing enough points.

User

Default Re: Police and the FCA

I'm not sure, but I would think so yes. I don't see how all our new police people can have firearms that have all gone through the same process that we follow...

User

Not sure what you looking for, but I remember a news report about a station commander who got his competency and licence in 2 months. I think this is the exception - probarly had personal contacts - I know a policeman who struggles just as much as we do. Was told that when he applied for s21 and spoke to the prov. commander was told to send his to cfr 'cause the prov com did not want to be seen as favouring a member of the force. Some time back another policemen posted here of his refusal, while he carries an R5 and 9mm as part of his job. I don't think they are favoured over us ordinary folk as a rule.

cerop / farmer-el, thank you.

i was thinking more along the lines of what they carry on duty. Surely an R5 carrying SAPS needs some serious competency??

User

As far as I know they have to have competency to carry and alot of them don't. Do I want to see an unarmed police force because of admin of an act - absolutley not!

User

Maybe rather look at the DA's point regarding the double standard when people lose firearms: normal okes like us get declared unfit to posess and most police are just issued with new guns.

User

Quote Originally Posted by JS4 View Post
    Maybe rather look at the DA's point regarding the double standard when people lose firearms: normal okes like us get declared unfit to posess and most police are just issued with new guns.
    Agree fully. I've always believed the negligent loss of a firearm from police or public should be dealt with. Unfortunatley politics dictates that this double standard will probarly always apply.

User

They have a required unit standard as well. Their duty guns are issued so they don't need to license them as individuals , in fact they can't use private guns on duty.

Some law enforcment agencies end up waiting for licenses as long as the rest of us.