Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Handy Andy

Banned

Default Handy Andy

Why cant Handy Andy be use as a bore cleaner
    (1)Some say amonia bad some say not, some say only bad if not washd out.
    (2)Has abrasives, but so fine and so soft --can be used on glass Ceramics etc --- will have to do a lot of rubbing to do measurable damage.

So why cant handy andy in that thick cream form be put in a barrel and clothed out like any other copper remover,
    So far I can only think cause the labelingdoes not say Rifle Bore Cleaner.

Any factual comments out there.

Default Re: Handy Andy

You willing to risk your bore to save a couple bucks? If so, have at it, but not me.
    Run Fast, Bite Hard!

As was mentioned in a previous post, carb cleaner is also "good" for some things, but bad for other. It may "work" but isn't designed for it, why use handy andy when there are products designed specifically for it?

Your car can run on thinners, thoretically and practically, doesn't mean you should do it or that it is good for your car.

Banned

I carefully said, "Any factual comments out there."cause I was hoping for factual comments.Someone to say it contains XXX and that will damage that. I looked the product up and then manufacturing and then the particle etc. Cytoflo, Nano thingees and Rottenstone, whiting, pumice, volcanic ash, quartz, marble, feldspar, and silica. Cant understand why there is always someone with nothing to contribute but has to comment.
    Steve valid piont but we both know many many items are sold under differant lable. In motor racing we learnt very fast that labels cost consumer money.After studing Handy Andy I still find the soft abbrasive to be the only ?.Its not about saving money -- but that is always a bonus.The cost of cleaning fluids versus time they last is actually cheap.I just like figuring things out. I just enjoy, discocering how and why and if. SO you could say I believe few things( ?word) were desighned for a specific purposes, more so that purposes,uses were discovered for for things or a combination of them.
    Citrus oils are now the "in" cleaning agent ????. H/Andy may not be the desighned combo for the ultimate clean, -- but whats wrong as a fall back was the question.

I'd also like to know, actually.
    Sent electronically, thus not signed.

User

Quote Originally Posted by treeman View Post
    Cant understand why there is always someone with nothing to contribute but has to comment.
    Forums generally are made for people to comment. I for one wouldnt take a chance on a rifle that I had to fork out cash for, go through the shlep of licensing and then figure out what household products I can use on it. But if the country was in chaos i wouldnt hesitate to use anything to keep it working

Google is your friend, here are just two articles. Opinion as usual is divided with those claiming damage and those who say that no damage occurs. Apparently ammonia is a very effective copper remover. The only comment I would make is that the smell of a rifle cleaning compound with ammonia in it is not nearly as overpowering as Handy Andy so you may want to check out the concentration, one article I read said that the ammonia should be less that 28%.

http://www.chuckhawks.com/clean_muzzleloader.htm

http://www.thehighroad.org/archive/index.php/t-548416.html

Quote Originally Posted by treeman View Post
    Cant understand why there is always someone with nothing to contribute but has to comment.
    wow, ok. google it then, come back and tell me what my opinion is supposed to be and i will state that accordingly then. Obviosly the forum is not a place for discussion then, my bad.

User

"There is some anecdotal evidence that SC should not be mixed with ammonia-based copper removers" SC=Shooter's Choice
    From this link:
    http://www.carifle.com/Articles/Aart_cleaning_jc.htm

Nothing to substantiate it though. So this is something else to consider, one chemical may be fine by itself, but may damage wood\primers\plastic or become much more corrosive in combination with another cleaner.

Banned

As was mentioned in a previous post, carb cleaner is also "good" for some things, but bad for other. It may "work" but isn't designed for it, why use handy andy when there are products designed specifically for it?

Steve I said valid piont and countered with :;; many many items are sold under differant lable --- more so that purposes,uses were discovered for for things or a combination of them. Did not mean to nock you Scuba.
    When I clean one of the more difficult rifles for copper I use - 3 differant copper removers and usually each one in turn shows copper. Why I thought of H/Andy in first place was to use with a brush to wash carbon out, then thought Amonia - copper - H/A might be more multi purpose.
    Ran some tests last nite on bullets and shells and strips of steel.
    The H/Andy had some effect on copper brass. Nothing VISABLE to steel.
    Bakeing soda mixed with Amonia bubbled the copper off the bullet at a alarming rate.Could not SEE any change in raw metal.
    Was very supprized at the baking soda.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast