Page 2 of 25 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast

Default Re: "hunting" from the back of a bakkie,opinions

Shooting from a blind is ethical hunting. It get's debatable when you park at the only waterhole for 20 k's around.

Shooting from a bakkie is not hunting. Bakkies are for culling. Culling is not hunting.

User

The only skill you need to shoot off a bakkie is the act of shooting itself.
    If that makes you a "hunter" then everybody capable of shooting a target is a "hunter". If someone looks in the dictionary and say well the act of hunting merely implies you pursuing an animal for food or trophy then shooting it with a g6 at 50km is also "hunting".

I am so tired of this old debate, if someone can answer me the following question I will be satisfied. Which of the following 2 sounds like a hunter.

1: An able bodied person uses his shooting skill to shoot an animal at 300 m of the back of a bakkie sitting in a chair with a steady aiming position.

2: An able bodied person tracks an animal on foot with his knowledge of stalking and using the terrain so that he comes into a good position to take a safe shot on an animal.

People, I have shot a lot of animals, is it such a hard thing to say or admit amongst your buddies, shooting off the back of a bakkie has never been and never will be hunting. If hunting does not require hunting/tracking/stalking skill then sending your butler to shoot the animal for you is also hunting.

Banned

As I said in my earlier post. Ethics relates to how you were brought up and from what background you judge your and other peoples actions. It is not black and white but an extremely grey area.

I am on my own and shooting water fowl - bag limit is 10 birds for the day - i have already filled that but the birds are flying as if there is no end - do I carry on shooting? I am on my own with no witnesses.

If you had stopped at the ten bag limit your own conscience has caused you to make that decision. You have acted ethically.

Quote Originally Posted by driepootx View Post
    As I said in my earlier post. Ethics relates to how you were brought up and from what background you judge your and other peoples actions. It is not black and white but an extremely grey area.
    OK, so by your yardstick then. If I've been brought up believing "hunting" for bushbuck comprises of setting a wire snare for it then once it's hooked up, I drive my old plaas landy into it 5kms/ph so I don't get too much meat damage but just to get it on the ground, then clubbing it with an iron pole until it stops breathing while singing Mshini'wam, is the way it's done - is that then ethical hunting?

User

Quote Originally Posted by Springer View Post
    OK, so by your yardstick then. If I've been brought up believing "hunting" for bushbuck comprises of setting a wire snare for it then once it's hooked up, I drive my old plaas landy into it 5kms/ph so I don't get too much meat damage but just to get it on the ground, then clubbing it with an iron pole until it stops breathing while singing Mshini'wam, is the way it's done - is that then ethical hunting?
    That scenario is called trapping and animal, if I did not have a gun then for food I would also set a snare, we should focus on the OP's question, is shooting from a bakkie hunting, yes or no.

Ok,I'd like to make the distinction between hunting as means of survival and hunting for sport.
    Survival,or subsistance hunting would have a different set of rules,not so?the difference between going hungry and feeding your family.let's leave out rural people,and their situation,because that,I believe is a different issue.

My question pertains to the sport of hunting.something done for enjoyment.
    I always believed that the chase is more important that the kill,or am I missing something?
    Like Messor said,shooting off the back of a bakkie requires no skill save shooting.
    I don't believe that ethics is personal,some us weren't born into hunting,so we have to acquire the ethics for the sport from those more experienced than us.so who is to say which are the correct ethics?
    I believe that's where hunting organisations come in.
    i take knives to a gunfight

User

Quote Originally Posted by Springer View Post
    OK, so by your yardstick then.
    Nice straw man you're setting up there.

I'm not disagreeing with your point of view, but setting up a straw man is not a good way of getting your point across.

User

I have a question(Pandora's box) for you Harm, if we agree that hunting implies tracking, stalking etc, then is hunting with a PH hunting. He does most of the important stuff and tells you when to pull the trigger(shooting again).

User

Quote Originally Posted by JS4 View Post
    Hahaha! How come when okes agree with me they always do it so grudgingly? ;o)

For those who say voorsitjag and shooting from a blind (or hidden ambush position) near food or water isn't ethical/really hunting a question: does the leopard who ambushes prey near food or water not hunt ethically? Does the lioness who pounces after the lion chased the game her way not hunt ethically?
    no grudge in agreeing with you about the mobility issue at all.But neither the leopard or the lion have the advantage of a rifle.just saying.I have no problem with people who use a blind for hunting it's just not something I would choose to do.

Banned

If I grew up in the south of Namibia or the Kalahari I would have mostly hunted with a bakkie and would have accepted that as the norm. My dad taught me that way and I think it is correct.James in the city is taught by his dad that only walk and stalk is correct.Hans in Germany hunts only from a hochsitz as killing the animal with one shot is the ethical way - that is how he has been brought up.Who has set their norms? - it is tradition, land topography etc. There is no act of parlaiment that determines your behaviour when you are alone. Your conscience guides you. You are now so arrogant as to pronounce that only your method is correct. None are wrong as long as the method is legal and does not cause excessive suffering of the animal - this would then exclude snaring. We are discussing hunting methods and not killing by necessity.

Page 2 of 25 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast