Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: Kershaw Amphibian - any good as primary defence fixed blade?

Guys,

The Amphibian was named as such because it was one of the first blades to be mass produce using materials that didn't mind getting wet ;) It's NOT a diving knife in the true sense of the word ;D

There's also no such thing as an SD blade for underwater, most of the nasties down there have far more weapons than you could handle with any knife, never mind the fact that you'd have to see the threat, deploy the blade and then use it in an environment that is vastly different from dry land and the skills we apply here ;) That being said I think a raggy would probably kak itself if you pulled out a D'Urban Shark on it, hey harm lv29

For EDC of the Amphibian I would suggest a horizontal carry sheath on the front of the body (dress dependent) or A-IWB (Appendix - Inside Waist Band) funnily enough I do make some sheaths like this hpy194 Good access to both hands for either forward or reverse grip and like I said to Big T re: push knives/daggers - get it out, get it cutting & keep it wet happy0065

I like the Large TDI cause it fits my hands and fits in well with the Amok! Blade & gun techniques but it is a pretty specialized tool and may not work for everyone, the Plan B was/is an AWESOME little knife and I still kick myself for not buying one when I had the chance >:( I've also got some idea's/designs that I've shared with harm and I think the time is fast approaching to get them into production with a few choice additions ;D

To finish off (cause I'm a bit tired from smacking people around at the Fighting for your Gun course tonight) Try not to read too much into which blade is the best, everyones hands are different, so the Amphibian may be perfect for Sweet but it may suck for HdV. I personally like double edged blades (2x the fun ;D).

I'll happily cut you F#$ked up with anything with a reasonably sharp edge on it even if the "experts" say that it's suitable for nothing but XYZ and not for SD. It's far more important to be able to apply your skill set, regardless of what tool you use, than have the perfect tool and no skills to use it with ;)

Oh Lord of Kydex

It sounds like the okes kakked off in the classroom last night, hey? - Thanks for the input whp

BigT - thanks for the translation. (I initially thought it meant something like "early deployment catch" but then I got going on a list and realised that it could get out of hand "every dumb c*nt -dies!!")

a last question: appendix carry, is this the vertical position to either side of the navel, so that when sitting, the blade moves into the crevice between the tool box and the leg? nj

Merci buckets!
    Sweet

I would be more inclined to have the knife sitting at roughly 45 degree angle for A-IWB and not 90 degree's.

When you sit in a chair you'll see that the "fold" that your leg makes to your body, angles from your hip down to the ..... family jewels ;) That's where you want the knife to ride.

Sweet, I never go out of my way to injure any students and neither will any Amok! trainer, some times you do get the odd bright spark who thinks he can make you look like a d#$s but they are normally corrected quickly and efficiently, with minimal pain..... to me that is ;D

User

agree 100% with Geoff.

the KA is just the right size for discreet, comfortable A-IWB carry, though mine came with this crappy HUGE leather sheath, so I made my own slim one with some thermoplastic I had lying around. a master of kydex I am NOT! ugly but functional...

yes the grip is square and flat, but I find it works well with more of a foil grip than a sabre grip, and this suits the double edged blade nicely. the foil grip feels more secure to me, being a bit closer to a convulsive/hammer grip and more 'closed'

one minor thing, the tip is a tad fragile. i lost a teeny tiny bit off the front cutting/stabbing something, but I just lovingly reground the tip ever so carefully

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Carter

I'll happily cut you F#$ked up with anything with a reasonably sharp edge on it even if the "experts" say that it's suitable for nothing but XYZ and not for SD. It's far more important to be able to apply your skill set, regardless of what tool you use, than have the perfect tool and no skills to use it with ;)
    LOVE IT

Thanks P2Win

I value yours and the others advice.

Sweet

(from JHB, with weather k#kker than a bad Cape winter!)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2