Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Default Re: Getting started with Black Powder, assistance.

I was concerned about the pins you made mention of as I noted them on the schematic but they were never there to start with, nor was there any indication of them ever having been there. I always wondered why there was "more movement on the cylinder than I was used to" before I ever put a tool to it. BUT, it did index correctly and I don't think this will be an issue. Perhaps someone in the know can advise, perhaps the pins are only present on the 44 varient?

So far additional to the above I have buffed the "frame" and polished the cylinder shaft to a nice smooth finish (without effecting its diameter). I have also buffed the barrel around where the wedge goes through where there are numerous marks from ill placed blows to release the wedge by the previous owner. Some are deep but I don't think ill do much more to this section as I want to leave all markings, stamps and proofs in place.

Just a bead blast now and all the big external bits can be re-blued. That ill do in the week of the 14th.

Then to sit and polish and clean up all the internals, that's where my biggest concern is at present. I have identified a parts kit in SA, just awaiting a response to availability.

Oh, continueing swanewa2's concerns on the cylinder safety pins, the hammer too has no notch to facilitate this, not before I cleaned it up. Solid construction, nowhere where it could snuggle into a pin.If the hammer is placed down "between nipples" the cylinder could be rotated but it took human intervention, its not somethat would just move in a breeze. I will however, when I get there, leave one chamber empty and void of a nipple and rest the hammer on that as I will be able to visually identify the safe chamber in that way.

Images of the most recent restorations. Cylinder done to how I think it should be, cylinder shaft polished, barrel worked where wedge goes in, not finished yet, and polished frame:

The cylinder safety pins mentioned earlier, the actual cylinder does NOT conform to this drawing in real life and has no such pins, never did and there was no evidence to show there ever was:

User

Scuba Steve,
    That is starting to look good.

Please consider sharing your project on the WhiteSmoke forum. I am sure there will be guys interested in what you have acheived.

H

http://i835.photobucket.com/albums/z...019-WA0013.jpg

http://i835.photobucket.com/albums/z...019-WA0015.jpg

http://i835.photobucket.com/albums/z...019-WA0019.jpg

http://i835.photobucket.com/albums/z...019-WA0017.jpg

So after literally 10 months I finally got the opportunity to sit down and put her back together again. I have to date not managed to source replacements for the internals and although I have no doubt that she will function I'm going to hold off firing until I have replaced the internals and get a full screw set. Happy with the result. It is damn nice to just sit and stare at.

User

Very nice. Beautiful

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4