Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8
    User

Default Re: Two house robbers shot dead and third seriously wounded, by helpful neighbour

Definitely a win, well done.

Default Re: Two house robbers shot dead and third seriously wounded, by helpful neighbour

I have been thinking lately - after seeing that video of the fast food owner in Durban shooting wildly from behind his counter at the armed robber - and probably lighting up the entire sidewalk area outside of his shop with flying lead in the process.

It is one thing when you are the one coming in from the outside and firing at the robbers who are standing next to the house, like the neighbour in this scenario did. Then you at least know that the robbers have walls or other solid objects behind them that will absorb any of your missed shots.

But since a basic rule of gun use is "knowing your target and what's behind it", if you are confronted by armed bad guys standing in your drive way with their backs to the street, can you actually engage them safely, knowing that any of your bullets that miss will be flying off across the street and into the gardens, doorways or windows of your neighbours on the opposite side? Never mind any poor people actually walking in the street at the time.

The problem is made worse by the fact that you have only a split second to react and make your decision. But you can't exactly wait for the guys to move to a position with a safer backdrop before commencing shooting at them.

So what do you do? Hope that every one of your shots will hit?

User

Looking at the pictures of the weapons, Slides locked back with mags in, They ran out of ammo.
    I'm speculating here, but looks like they shot blindly and ran out of ammo(a good thing), while hero ex-cop took concentrate decisive shots.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Antlion View Post
    Definitely a win, well done.
    This is a good outcome and I have np pity for the armed robbers who were willing to terrorise
    innocent civilians.
    However as much as ones wants to cheer, I do not think public gloating or over enthusiastic back slapping and rambo type comments help the cause of gun owners. In my opinion it plays right into the hands of GFSA and similar rabble who say look at these guys cheering over the death etc. Rather be restrained in public comments but be assertive and well targeted when using this example of when and how firearms protect innocent lives. In pvt say what you want.. and give the man a case of bells.

Reading this thread, it sounds as if these guys had inside info. How did they know about the safe and is it coincidence that the husband was away leaving only wife alone at home ?

Always be very very selective who you allow into your private spaces.

Quote Originally Posted by SeanG View Post
    Looking at the pictures of the weapons, Slides locked back with mags in, They ran out of ammo.
    I'm speculating here, but looks like they shot blindly and ran out of ammo(a good thing), while hero ex-cop took concentrate decisive shots.
    Could be, or someone made the weapons safe.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Taranis View Post
    Could be, or someone made the weapons safe.
    Made them safe with their mags still in
    Look at the pictures

User

Quote Originally Posted by kakuli View Post
    This is a good outcome and I have np pity for the armed robbers who were willing to terrorise
    innocent civilians.
    However as much as ones wants to cheer, I do not think public gloating or over enthusiastic back slapping and rambo type comments help the cause of gun owners. In my opinion it plays right into the hands of GFSA and similar rabble who say look at these guys cheering over the death etc. Rather be restrained in public comments but be assertive and well targeted when using this example of when and how firearms protect innocent lives. In pvt say what you want.. and give the man a case of bells.
    On the other hand what is being celebrated is not the death of some crooks (due to their own actions) but the act of a hero that stood up for another person being unlawfully attacked. I would actually like GFSA to take that angle because they will loose even more support. What other result would please them? Would they prefer the lady be raped and killed? It was 4:1 and they had the opportunity to prepare their assault. No, this is a loss for GFSA and a win for the country.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Anomander View Post
    I have been thinking lately - after seeing that video of the fast food owner in Durban shooting wildly from behind his counter at the armed robber - and probably lighting up the entire sidewalk area outside of his shop with flying lead in the process.

It is one thing when you are the one coming in from the outside and firing at the robbers who are standing next to the house, like the neighbour in this scenario did. Then you at least know that the robbers have walls or other solid objects behind them that will absorb any of your missed shots.

But since a basic rule of gun use is "knowing your target and what's behind it", if you are confronted by armed bad guys standing in your drive way with their backs to the street, can you actually engage them safely, knowing that any of your bullets that miss will be flying off across the street and into the gardens, doorways or windows of your neighbours on the opposite side? Never mind any poor people actually walking in the street at the time.

The problem is made worse by the fact that you have only a split second to react and make your decision. But you can't exactly wait for the guys to move to a position with a safer backdrop before commencing shooting at them.

So what do you do? Hope that every one of your shots will hit?
    Not responding could mean you are dead. So shooting back at some point will probably be inevitable if you want to live.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8