Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    User

Default There are no winners in this fight..

This whole GOSA debacle had me go on a trip down memory lane for the last twenty years. It brought back memories from other sports and organizations that also had strife, both internal and external. Now, before I continue, fair disclosure: I know Paul and Lynette relatively well. I regularly shoot at Tac Shac's club and 3Gun shoots and I have bought three firearms either through or from them.

Cycling:
    In the early 2000's I competitively cycled. In order to race nationally you had to have a Cycling South Africa license. Speaking of CSA, there were always unproven rumors on how their money was spent. Go read about how little support Greg Minnaar got from CSA, until he won the Downhill World Champs back in 2001. A good friend of mine managed to qualify for World's as well in his age category in the early 2000's. At the next race I asked him how CSA is supporting his trip to Europe "They sent me the kit pricelist".. Yup, he will go to Europe, compete in national colours, and he had to buy his own kit. I left competitive cycling end of 2008, moved to triathlon, and was so surprised that TSA would gladly share their financials.

Now in the Western Cape there is also the Pedal power Association. Cycling South Africa (CSA) were always at strife with the PPA. This was due to the amount of money that PPA managed to make through races and initiatives. One of these was a league racing series where categories of licensed (CSA) riders could compete for a jersey in a selection of the races. There was some price money, but wearing the Jersey was always more prestige thing. After a year of two of racing I wasn't happy how things were run and through a friend got nominated to the 'league committee' (you offered your time and knowledge and got zero remuneration for it). Before the start of a season we would sit and decide which races qualify for these leagues (length, amount of climbs, traffic problems etc). One year we had decided the Malmesbury race would not be a league race, as it interfered / shared dates with the Cape Epic. The week before the race took place, one of the committee members (who happened to sit in the top 3 of the points) convinced the PPA chairperson to make it (the Malmesbury race) a league race without the committee input. When I confronted him, he basically said 'Those guys were always going to ride the Epic, league race or not'. Word got out that he wangled the calendar to get some points on his closest competitors, his reputation got tarnished, and I resigned from the committee. In the end, there was no winner, only losers (someone's reputation, and a organization's reputation).

4x4 Events:
    We moved to Gauteng end 2011, and got involved in the 4x4 scene. It was a way to meet people and explore a different part of the country. I had stopped cycling, as I was busy with a part time masters degree and my wife was fighting cancer. Some of the bigger events taking place were the Bridgestone 4x4 series (those members here who are part of 4x4Community-oldboys-club will remember those). I think they were strongest around 2014 and 2015. Of course there was also strife, especially between the Jeep Rubicon and <every other brand> owners. My wife decided she would like a go at this competition driving thing, I can be navigator. We entered a competition, and quickly saw how it was run. Much to my surprise in one of the obstacles I saw a man driving the obstacle for his wife / gf, and at the end of the day, SHE gets 3rd place, bumping my wife down to 4th and out of the podium. When I questioned this, boy did the 'manne' climb in to me. "Get a more capable vehicle" and and and.. Never took part in one again. Today I don't think the Bridgestone events even exist anymore, not to mention old Manny De Freitas (spelling?) and his breakaway "4x4 Action Group". Point is, these events happening in the sport did the sport way more harm than good, and in the end there were no winners. (Heck I don't think I've logged on to the 4x4Comm forum since 2016??)

Shooting:
    Now, I haven't been around the shooting game as long, but the cycles of ebb and flow is evident here, as they were in other activities. First example is the demise(?) of SADPA (well, significant membership drop). I used to shoot with CDPC, but a unpleasant experience saw me move to TacShac. Then Paul and Lynette (why are you two always in the middle??) got suspended, and we know how that played out. We know the SA Hunters situation all too well (some people here probably still have tyre marks from the bus that they were thrown under). A good friend told me how he once tried veldskiet, and saw interesting things happen there that won't see him return. My argument is, we have a lot of shooting organizations already, I did a post earlier this year asking about the newer players on the block like FOSA and NARFO. If we as shooters want to speak with a unified voice, why so many organizations and voices...also, how is there space for these newer orgs? I ask this because of that saying by Aristotle "nature abhors a vacuum". If there was no vacuum there would be no place for new orgs.

Which brings me to the whole point I want to make. This GOSA saga is not good for the shooting community. We're already not liked much by Adriaan Basson, and made News24. There's a lot of speculation, people on both sides of the fence, and Paul and the GOSA crew obviously smack in the middle. Whatever the outcome (and I have it on good authority that the financials are actually above board), there will be no winners in this fight. The broader community will see it in a different light with sides being chosen and reputations tarnished.

There will be no winners in this fight.

User

Default Re: There are no winners in this fight..

Well said Mr Blaauw.

Wrong GFSA, The raving mad Ass-Hatter and his agenda sharing comrades and every lawless evil scumbag win. But thats the only way we will learn, often not even then.

User

By sowing division members will leave....

Members might have issues dealing with new management/directors...rules will be changed, fees might be adjusted and members interest might not be protected anymore.....

When member figures drop,so does support....

When there is only a few left, a new one might arise to absorb those who left....

Where you had such a big organisation who had the membership numbers, the will power and appetite power to take matters to court... they will be left with 2 or maybe even 3 organisations, so small and divided that no one will be left to protect and stand up for the legal firearm owner or to fight draconion amendment to laws....

In my opinion this could be a well thought out and calculated plan....

MAY THEIR PLANS FAIL HORRIBLY

Sent from my SM-A515F using Tapatalk

User

Quote Originally Posted by Karoobow View Post
    By sowing division members will leave....

Members might have issues dealing with new management/directors...rules will be changed, fees might be adjusted and members interest might not be protected anymore.....

When member figures drop,so does support....

When there is only a few left, a new one might arise to absorb those who left....

Where you had such a big organisation who had the membership numbers, the will power and appetite power to take matters to court... they will be left with 2 or maybe even 3 organisations, so small and divided that no one will be left to protect and stand up for the legal firearm owner or to fight draconion amendment to laws....

In my opinion this could be a well thought out and calculated plan....

MAY THEIR PLANS FAIL HORRIBLY

Sent from my SM-A515F using Tapatalk
    That is the problem, smaller organization may only act in the interest of their members and not all gun owners. GOSA was/is looking out for everyone.

If the two expelled member have such a strong case why not wait for the courts to rule in their favor, be reinstated and take over the reigns? Why the smear campaign on social media and now MSM that screws us all over and tear down any positives that GOSA have achieved?

It’s really sad that GFSA does not have to do anything to discredit gun owners, we are quite capable of doing that ourselves.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User

People will people. Seen this sort of nonsense in everything from the parents in school level provincial hockey to our ratepayers association. Those that get a boner from politics can't help themselves.

User

You should join the 4x4 AG - many of the members were banned from the action community for being too outspoken and not pc enough......

We are a lekker bunch.

Coming back to the topic - it's always sad when a group started for a noble cause starts fallinf apart due to in-fighting.

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk

my heart at the sea and my soul in the mountains

Thank you pblaauw.
    @ Baasvrak "Coming back to the topic - it's always sad when a group started for a noble cause starts fallinf apart due to in-fighting."

Sadly this happens across the board. What happened to everyone resigning until the BS is resolved and then coming back stronger than ever when the matter is aired out? I have seen this scenario play out in my interest groups and professional bodies where different factions start legal action to hold on to positions as though their life depends on it. I have always had the opinion that one contribution is never linked to the position or title one holds and if that is the thinking then following the money will smoke them out to expose them for what they are.

I have seen this firsthand with my money being abused by two shooting bodies (not GOSA) and one professional body at least.

PS add water sports to the mix of abuse of funds and facilities.
    live out your imagination , not your history.

I’m a member of a 60 year old, small shooting club. We have quite a significant bank account, valuable trophies and a good range. When I joined, many years ago, I was astounded by the many rules and governance processes. It was thorough and transparent, and ruled with an iron fist ( but gently), by the old members, many of whom were ex WWII veterans. I thought it was pedantic and excessive, after all we just met on Saturday to shoot, right?

Over the years our club has thrived and whenever it’s been threatened by new cliques who want to spend the reserve, or be loose with the range fees, our procedures and constitution have been invaluable.

I think the key to receiving public money is governance and transparency , which exceeds that which commercial ventures are satisfied with.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast