Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast
    User

Default Re: 6.5 creedmoor thoughts

Quote Originally Posted by FantomBadger View Post
    If I'm not mistaken Howa doesn't make a .260 REM currently.

I had the same thoughts about a Howa 6.5 Creedmore. With a Sightron scope and Boyd's stock you can have a very decent long range setup at an affordable price.
    But they do make a 6.5x55SE which is just about the same as the .260 Rem. So from the Howa Basket, which would be better? The Swede or the Creed?

User

Quote Originally Posted by CW1 View Post
    But they do make a 6.5x55SE which is just about the same as the .260 Rem. So from the Howa Basket, which would be better? The Swede or the Creed?
    Better is hard to define without proper criteria, meaning better in which way.

Since this post is in the hunting section I can only assume the swede is better than the creed, since the swede have a larger case capacity. Since they shoot the same bullet, with the same bc and sd and whatnot, a modern swede(not old Saami spec) will be able to push the bullet faster, meaning flatter trajectory and more energy downrange. If people load the cartridges to similar MV then the swede will run at lower pressure.

That is the first part, the second part is will the OP be able to outshoot the potential accuracy of any of these two cartridges, no disrespect to the OP but I seriously doubt that, especially out of a factory Howa rifle instead of a purpose build bench rifle.

It's my opinion that for a factory rifle that does hunting and target shooting, the swede have the creed beat in every way.

But, remember this opinion is without knowing how our poor powder choice in SA affects the potential performance of these two when compared head to head. For people thinking about buying any of these rifles running the numbers is the first thing I would do. Using data from the overseas guys is useless if you cannot match that with our Somchem.

Meaning don't pull data off the internet and compare them and make a decision on that, decide which bullet weight you would want to use, run our powders through QL and see the potential performance comparison.

User

Bearing in mind that factory loads for the swede are on the lawyer proof side due to the old rifles chambered in it, for a handloader the swede will definitely outrun the Creedmoore.

The advantage or the CM is that it will fit in a short action even with long high bc bullets whereas the swede is better in a long action, whether or not you see that as an advantage.
    The only people I see worrying about that are those building ultra light weight rigs and want to save as much weight as possible.

In general hunting terms there is not much to choose between the two.

Reading all these posts helps me make my choice so much easier.6.5 creedmoor it is then! Now just have to wait for stock to arrive.

User

Hi.

I have settled on the 6.5mm Creedmoor as my caliber of choice.

Now to get the rifle is not proving easy. So far my dealer can only source Savage and Browning in this caliber.

Where to look for more of a range to choose from?

Cheers.

User

Quote Originally Posted by LLTHB View Post
    Hi.

I have settled on the 6.5mm Creedmoor as my caliber of choice.

Now to get the rifle is not proving easy. So far my dealer can only source Savage and Browning in this caliber.

Where to look for more of a range to choose from?

Cheers.
    iirc also Ruger and Howa.

User

Quote Originally Posted by CW1 View Post
    the x55 in Howa is the normal not bull barrel version

User

Looking at the Legacy sports website, they don't list the creed in a heavy barrel, but rather just a longer barrel. (22" vs 24")

User

The 6.5 Creed, 308, 243, and 22 250 are normally avaikible as Howa Varminters with 24inch Bull Barrels.
    The normal 'Hunter' models has 22 inch barrels

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

User

I thought i would have a look at the twist on the howa site....they list a 6.5x55SW with a 1:8 twist.

I dont see mention of a 6.5 creed....or am i missing something?

Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast