Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Best way to store your handgun in safe!

I don’t carry my 357 with me, except when I go on the long road or to the farm. I realized last night that, I’m just as vulnerable at home as on the farm or on the open road. I don’t carry the gun because it’s heavy and uncomfortable.
    If you get ambushed at home and they force you to open your safe, or you can get there before them. Isn’t it better to keep you gun out of its holster in the save? Currently in it's holster on the bottom of the safe. And what is the best way to carry 357 4inch barrel that it’s concealed and easy to get to when needed?

User

Default Re: Best way to store your handgun in safe!

I think the solution is to buy a compact pistol for EDC.

User

have the holster positioned in such a way that the grip is presented to you when you open the safe, and that the holster will remain behind if you grab and pull the gun.

maybe fashion a type of stand out of wood that the holster can attach to, but is easy to remove for when you want to carry normally.

User

Ding. We have a winner.

Quote Originally Posted by G-force View Post

User

Quote Originally Posted by G-force
    +1

To be bluntly honest with you, comfort is not a SD requirement in my opinion. It is all about mindset, you either decide to carry or you don't. Sure you can make some adjustments to make carrying a firearm more comfortable but it comes down to how determined you are to carry.

A large frame revolver is definitely not the easiest handgun to carry or conceal so get a more compact semi auto pistol as others have suggested (if you can afford it, can licence it, etc) or make the revolver work for you.

Look at the following points to make it easier to carry that revolver:
    - Gun belt: A good gun belt is the foundation for carrying a handgun. Get the best you can afford. I prefer the gun belts with a Kydex stiffener built in as it tends to spread the load more evenly around your hips. The belts you buy at Edgars and most outdoor shops are not gun belts. Do a search in the GS archives where you will find reference to quite a few that are available locally. BlackHawk, Wilderness, 511, Loopers, etc are a few I can remember off the top of my head. Between Paul's Tac Shac and Khumba's Hailstorm you should find something decent.
    - Holster: A good holster is the second building block in effective handgun carry. I personally prefer Kydex type of holsters for OWB carry and leather / Kydex hybrids for IWB carry. Again search GS and you will find many references to decent holsters available locally. Revolver holsters might be more difficult to find but have a look at the CompTac website to see if you can find something for your model and then get Khumba to bring it in for you. If you can get to Cape Town or if he has a mould for your model I can highly recommend Geoff Carter to make you a custom Kydex holster and speed loaders if required.

User

"Carry your gun - it's a lighter burden than regret." --Breda

"A carry gun should be comforting, not necessarily comfortable." -- Clint Smith

But seriously, get Mr Kydex Carter to make you a holster, get a decent belt, and you'll be OK while you wait for the licence for the Glock. I carry a 3" 357 and a 4" is about the same -- it's mostly the grip, my carry gun has Uncle Mike's but my 4" gun has wood, and that pokes off in strange directions.

User

For what its worth, I don't have any comfort issues carrying any of my handguns, as they were all purchased with carry in mind. That includes service size pistols and compact pistols.

Comfort is very possible if you put in the effort. Carrying is a must. How many times have we read about people not being able to get to their guns in time to save their lives?

I realize it is important to carry your gun if you have one, because what is the use if it’s in the safe. But how do you conceal it, because people look at you as if where the hell do you come from. I know some of you will say don’t worry about the people. I go up to Pretoria and Johannesburg with my gun, and when you walk in to a shopping centre you feel like a terrorist. I have an inside pants, a pancake and a normal holster. Pancake work well if you walk and in winter when a jacket can cover it, but it’s a pain in a car. The inside pants holster work well over a t shirt, but as soon as you sit it stick out. Tried it on the right hand side, but a 36 is too big and the 34 has just enough space for me.
    I may be wrong, but mustn’t you surprise the elements? Sorry for all the questions!

User

A big revolver is going to be tougher to conceal, invest in a Glock or M&P. They are not heavy at all and conceal very easily. I have never carried anything else, so I won't be able to offer any other suggestions with regards to the .357.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast