Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    User

Default I brought a scope in from the USA, and it was all legal..

Backstory.. My income, like many Safa's, is not cutting it. I still like to shoot, but I have to check which matches, save a little here and there, and when I want something new, I do a ton of research to look for 'good' alternatives, as I simply can't drop 45k on a scope. I look at some other people's reloading rooms, and I wonder what I did wrong in life. Just their scales are worth more than my entire bench! It's how I got started on Falcon Optics, and both the scopes I have has lasted me, held their true, and it's such a underrated brand.

I needed a new scope for a 300 PRC that is coming, and Youtube kept throwing up reviews on Arken Optics. Turns out its a company started by some veterans in the US, that wanted to bring features to affordable scopes in the market. Their first generation items had some issues, but the 2nd gen stuff seems to rate well. I wanted their SH4 6-24 model in Mil.
    There is a local distributor, but they priced them right up there with Vortex PST's etc. Now if you scratch around, there are some affiliates on Youtube that still have valid codes for a discount on their combo pack, which includes throw lever, bubble level, scope caps, and a choice of rings or 20MOA mount. TiborasaurusRex had a valid code (REX170) which gives you $170 off this pack, which is pretty good value. Turns out he also had a hand in designing these scopes, and does detailed reviews on them. Here's the link to the scope and the pack.
    https://www.arkenopticsusa.com/onlin...ube-p227953426
    https://www.arkenopticsusa.com/onlin...ack-p420045436

Now there is a lot of confusion around ITAR and LVS Exception, but it's pretty clear. Keep a single package under $500 and make sure it's not on a list of military stuff. I contacted my friend that lives in Georgetown, Kentucky, asked him if he was willing to assist. He agreed, and I sent him $500 via PayPal. He ordered the scope and combo pack, total after discount came to $489.98. Nice, we're under the $500 mark. While he waited for delivery, I mailed ITAC locally with the HS code and got a formal reply that it does not fall under import control measures, but that duties etc will still apply.

When the package arrived, my friend took the dimensions and weight, and we used https://www.ipsparcel.com/index.cfm?ses=n to get a quote. FedEx was not the cheapest of their options, but I've had the best service from them before, and they pick up at his house, so as not to inconvenience him, so I sent the $142 shipping. Within minutes of them getting the shipping request they emailed back asking for proof of the true value of the item, and listing a bunch of conditions. He promptly sent them the invoice he paid for the scope, as well as the ITAC document I received. Nothing further required, and the next day FedEx picked it up.

Last week Monday FedEx emailed me the details of the duties I need to pay, and I sorted that out quick (just the 15% VAT), and by last week Wednesday it was in Dubai, where it chilled for a few days, before finally being delivered this morning. Now one day when CFR has their printing sorted I might get the actual rifle (approved 30th March 2022 already).

User

Default Re: I brought a scope in from the USA, and it was all legal..

That looks awesome

Sent from my EML-L29 using Tapatalk

User

I am looking at getting a scope from the US. But how do you find the HS code? As the scope I am looking at is about $1700. The company selling the scope sorts the ITAR as part of the deal they just need the ITAC / import permit first.

User

Just a question, local supplier has this scope listed at 14k, with the exchange rate and your R2500 discount from trex you paid R10k including delivery.
    Do you really think the risk with possible duties etc you luckily skipped it was worth it to save that amount and loose local support?

User

Quote Originally Posted by DstUrges View Post
    Just a question, local supplier has this scope listed at 14k, with the exchange rate and your R2500 discount from trex you paid R10k including delivery.
    Do you really think the risk with possible duties etc you luckily skipped it was worth it to save that amount and loose local support?
    When I started this it was R15.5k, and that's without the combo pack. They only discounted it last week when I looked again. Is it worth the risk... who knows, but I did it. If your income allows you to buy and support local, by all means do it. Crossing the road is a risk, so was this.. (and I really wanted the extras in the combo pack)

User

Absolutely love my Arken, currently using a 4x16 on my CZ455 22LR (and a few times on my 308). Rings etc also awesome, especially if you get them as part of the deal.

Getting 2 x EP5's end of this year for my 308 & 6.5Creed.

User

Thank you for posting this, finally someone with first hand, documented evidence of it being done legally. You do what your budget allows.

User

https://www.sars.gov.za/wp-content/u...eral-Notes.pdf

SARS website.
    As per customs code 9013.10.2 no duties are payable for scopes. The only tax levied in SA is VAT.

User

Quote Originally Posted by PWdejager View Post
    Absolutely love my Arken, currently using a 4x16 on my CZ455 22LR (and a few times on my 308). Rings etc also awesome, especially if you get them as part of the deal.

Getting 2 x EP5's end of this year for my 308 & 6.5Creed.
    I would have liked a EP5, but they're always on backorder, and they are over $500, so I settled for the SH4. I'm quite keen on a SH4 in 4-16 as well, so might go that way depending on how this one performs. Seems to be good value for money.

User

Thanks for the write up pblaauw. Great to have a first hand worked example.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast