Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Frog legs?

User

Default Re: Frog legs?

Quote Originally Posted by zguy View Post
    Some people like to suck out the prawn's head. And chew on chicken bones.
    My wife's late uncle grew up dirt poor in Glasgow after WW2 which left a mark on him. He ate the chicken bones, all of them. Was quite taken aback the first time I saw it.

User

Quote Originally Posted by oafpatroll View Post
    Ah, good old Macedonia. All they had going for them before was being the birth place of some bloke called Alexander but now they have frog legs!

I ate them in France on the same day that I tucked into some horse. Enjoyed both but not enough to have plunked down my own coin for them. Do you kow why only the legs are eaten? Seems rather wasteful.
    Other than on the legs, there's just not much meat anywhere else to be worth the effort of trying to get it.
    The french don't use the proper technique as far as I know, flour and deep fry is the way to go.
    Yes Macedonia is a weird one, some places up in the mountains are like going a step backwards in a time machine, to a more primitive Europe. Wolves, bears, sheep and those dogs that guard the sheep from the other 2.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Sean KZN View Post
    Other than on the legs, there's just not much meat anywhere else to be worth the effort of trying to get it.
    The french don't use the proper technique as far as I know, flour and deep fry is the way to go.
    Yes Macedonia is a weird one, some places up in the mountains are like going a step backwards in a time machine, to a more primitive Europe. Wolves, bears, sheep and those dogs that guard the sheep from the other 2.
    The ones I ate weren't deep fried. Think they may have been pan fried but were served in a garlicky sauce. I remember being surprised at how big they were.

User

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User

Nothing better that Far Side !

User

Quote Originally Posted by Vaal View Post
    NB please note that some cultures/people claim that crickets are a very good source of protein. LoL
    There is a guy at my local health shop that sold them by the jar. They were dried and added a nice element of crunch to any dish. Close your eyes, munch away, and they were quite delicious. The chitin in their exoskeleton of insects is very good for encouraging the growth of useful species of bacteria in your gut microbiome. If they were cheaper I'd eat them like rice crispies, as they are high in protein and a lot healthier.

User

Just a warning to the adventurous eaters out there. Do not try to eat the legs of the very common raucus or red toads. They have a slime layer that can be quite toxic. They spawn in our Eco-pool, and our fish never eat the tadpoles. One day, one of our guests swallowed a tadpole by mistake, and threw up all night.

The very jumpy (highly sprung) common rana is a better option. Although not very big, it should be edible. Perhaps one day I'll try it

User

Quote Originally Posted by Againstthegrains View Post
    Just a warning to the adventurous eaters out there. Do not try to eat the legs of the very common raucus or red toads. They have a slime layer that can be quite toxic. They spawn in our Eco-pool, and our fish never eat the tadpoles. One day, one of our guests swallowed a tadpole by mistake, and threw up all night.

The very jumpy (highly sprung) common rana is a better option. Although not very big, it should be edible. Perhaps one day I'll try it
    You've raised a good point... what species are eaten? Is one tastier than the other?

I wonder what toxin the red ones have

Banned

Toads have toxic substances in the skin and parotid glands. Ingestion of toad or toad cake can lead to intoxication. Most toxic compounds of this venom are steroids similar to digoxin. Most patients have gastrointestinal symptoms consisting of nausea, vomiting, and abdominal discomfort.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Againstthegrains View Post
    There is a guy at my local health shop that sold them by the jar. They were dried and added a nice element of crunch to any dish. Close your eyes, munch away, and they were quite delicious. The chitin in their exoskeleton of insects is very good for encouraging the growth of useful species of bacteria in your gut microbiome. If they were cheaper I'd eat them like rice crispies, as they are high in protein and a lot healthier.
    If I ever squash a cricket again, I'll think of you. Haha.
    I used to catch crickets and hold them close to some unsuspecting persons ear till the cricket kicks. A blast for me but not so much for them.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 LastLast