Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    User

Default Wet pack test results

These are the results of some wet pack tests I did a while back with my .40 S&W.

On the left is a 180gr. Magtech Hollow Point. Next to it is a 180gr. Federal Hydra-Shock. In the middle is the infamous Winchester Ranger, also in 180gr. Next to that is a 180 gr. Remington Golden Saber and the one on the end is a 180gr PMP Hollow point.

Attachment 7407Attachment 7408Attachment 7409

The bullets that I was most impressed with was the Winchester and Remington. They expanded really well and was the most consistent. I shot about five of each into a wet pack. Some of them, like the Magtech, did not mushroom every time. Two of them went straight through without expanding. The PMP also missed two but the Federal was also 5/5. Some of the Federal's shattered a bit but the Remington and Winchester kept it all together. I recently bought a pack of Magtech Guardian Gold and PMC Star Fire. I will test them as soon as my pistol is fixed.

User

Default Re: Wet pack test results

nice thanks

User

Any time! It's not very impressive but I had fun doing it.

Wet pack is useless except as a comparison of one bullet against another in that, specific, medium. The guys who do the ballistic gelatin tests use a formula that has been developed over decades to best resemble human and pig muscle.

I know such testing is fun, but it means pretty much nothing.
    Run Fast, Bite Hard!

User

Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Brand View Post
    Any time! It's not very impressive but I had fun doing it.

User

Quote Originally Posted by ikor View Post
    Wet pack is useless except as a comparison of one bullet against another in that, specific, medium. The guys who do the ballistic gelatin tests use a formula that has been developed over decades to best resemble human and pig muscle.

Ikor, just to ask.... do you think the Wet pack test and ballistic gel test will make these bullets perform differently (according to the pics on this thread)? What I mean is....will the PMP bullet suddenly shine when firing into ballistic gel compared to the Rangers?

No...the PMP bullet will still suck but wet pack will typically create expansion greater than what is seen in ballistic gelatin or actual shootings, and it can make an otherwise poorly performing JHP look better in relation to expansion capabilities.

It also tends to reinforce the old myth that velocity is all important, which should have been dead and buried long time ago.
    Run Fast, Bite Hard!

User

thanks ikor. I understand

User

Quote Originally Posted by ikor View Post

The only reason I do wet pack tests is to get the bullet to expand and to then be able to retrieve it. I collect them which is why I try new bullets all the time. Just for the sake of interest, how crappy are the PMP's compared to the rest and why? I bought a pack a while back but I don't use them as carry ammo, they were cheap and I was curious.

Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Brand View Post
    The only reason I do wet pack tests is to get the bullet to expand and to then be able to retrieve it. I collect them which is why I try new bullets all the time. Just for the sake of interest, how crappy are the PMP's compared to the rest and why? I bought a pack a while back but I don't use them as carry ammo, they were cheap and I was curious.
    I hear ballistics gel is reusable :-). There are some great recipes on the net!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast