Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Default Re: .500 S&W. Bullet for Buffalo.

Quote Originally Posted by TStone View Post
    He will be backed but I would prefer him to kill it himself, preferably with his first shot. If the .500 S&W is not capable of that it would be better if he use a caliber that is.
    Craig Clintworth at Mkonto Gunsmithing built a lot of black powder rifles, did a lot of black powder hunting, and he once told me that a slow 500 grain piece of lead can kill anything.

Maybe give him a call, and ask his opinion.

User

A hole made by a 50 cal bullet must be similar to an expanded 375 bullet, which is capable of taking Buffalo.
    So a mono solid will penetrate enough, so no reason why it can't work.
    Client must just make sure of the shot, and give it some time before a slow follow up
    A roaring Lion kills no game

Quote Originally Posted by MyLani View Post
    A hole made by a 50 cal bullet must be similar to an expanded 375 bullet, which is capable of taking Buffalo.
    So a mono solid will penetrate enough, so no reason why it can't work.
    Client must just make sure of the shot, and give it some time before a slow follow up
    I shot a buffalo bull earlier this year using my .375 H&H and a Peregrine 300gr bullet. The recovered .375 bullet measured 14mm, a .500 bullet measures 12.7mm. Very many buffalo have been killed with 300gr solids from .375 H&H rifles, before premium expanding bullets became available. The .500 S&W with a solid will probably kill quicker than a .375 with a solid.

The .500 S&W with a solid will probably kill quicker than a .375 with a solid.
    Before anything, let the client go buy the heaviest hard cast / solids he can find, and chrony them in his rifle.

This will tell you how safe to use in the field.

A bit of feedback on the hunt. The client arrived with cartridges loaded with the 400gr Cutting Edge Safari Solid bullets at 1850fps. The first shot hit the buffalo, which was angling towards us, in the neck close to the chest and penetrated diagonally through the chest cavity. The bull dropped to the shot. I could see blood spurting out from the entry wound. As the bull was struggling to get up, the hunter put three more shots into him but I truly don't think that any of them were necessary. However, it is a buffalo.

After the buffalo hunt the rifle was used to hunt a warthog, a duiker and an eland using Peregrine 350gr expanding bullets @ 1850fps. Penetration was excellent and all of the Peregrines, even the one in the duiker, expanded. All shots were taken between 40 and 70 meters. I got to shoot the rifle, an 18" barreled Big Horn Armory lever action, and it was surprisingly easy to shoot with.

User

I got to shoot the rifle, an 18" barreled Big Horn Armory lever action, and it was surprisingly easy to shoot with.
    Haven't seen one of their products in the flesh but the pics i have seen look great. Was it a finely finished thing?

Quote Originally Posted by oafpatroll View Post
    Haven't seen one of their products in the flesh but the pics i have seen look great. Was it a finely finished thing?
    Yes it was. I'm not a lever gun fan but I could certainly live with one of these. The one he brought had a laminated stock and was cerakoted, I'll post a picture.

A
    All shots were taken between 40 and 70 meters.
    Correction, longest shot (on eland) was 120m. Buffalo 70m, warthog 40m and duiker 50m.

Banned

Very good finish on both metal and woodwork. Like the dull finish.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast